Hi all again.

This will be my last post on this topic for a while. At least untill after our first camping trip.

We held our first real Troop Meeting last night. I say real because it was not a informational meeting.

We are starting with the camping theme. (out of the troop program resources)

We started with boy introductions and then SPL elections. (I went over the requierments before hand)

We had 4 scouts out of 10 that ran for SPL. I told them all that they had the floor and could speak to the group. I allowed the group to ask questions, And I asked one question of each of the canidates. After all this all four canidates were up front and had time for a rebutal. Then the vote.

Our elected SPL had 4 out of 7 votes. (Only 7 scouts were there at the time of the vote)

In my opinion he is the best scout for the job. (No I did not tell any body who to vote for)

After the elections they formed there own patrols at the direction of the new SPL (With my direction)

Then the patrols elected there PL's. I had to step in because every one wanted to be the PL. I had the boys determine if they wanted to set term limits on the PL. They did, Then I had them set either 1 or 2 month limits. One patrol is a month, the other is 2 months. Then we flipped a coin to decide on the first PL.

After the patrols we started on ropes. They all learned how to properly whip and fuse rope. I wanted to get into knots, not enough time to start. This was there home work. Square, Taut-Line, Double Half, and clove hitch.

We will be starting on axe, bow saw, hatchet and knife saftey at our next meeting.

We are going great.

YIS

SM41

Great Job!

Quick suggestion. Call the SPL and review the meeting with him. Help him to discover what elements made it a good meeting and make plans to repeat the processes that worked well. Ask him for his opinion on what "the next step" should be and what part he feels ready to do.

Work out the agenda for the next couple of meetings and have the SPL take responsibility for some parts, and assign the responsibility for others.

Good luck, and keep up the good work,

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

You are doing your best and that is evident. Scouts will accept your interest, time, and care and will appreciate it.

If you are not trained, please consider it. If you are trained, then it is always a good policy to review it. Scouter training is based on past experience working with Scouts and has always been like a rubber life raft for me and for the most part, I stay in it.

Good luck and good sailing,

FB