New req vs old...How new does a badge have to be?

It also strikes me that this can't be a 'new' problem - which could be very easily solved....

I know BSA is working on revising ALL the badges over time. They obviously have SOME kind of plan or schedule - why can't they simply TELL us a few months in advance -

"we are working on these Merit Badges and expect to have revisions out by June, 2004"

If they don't make the goal, fine. But at least Badge couselors can have a 'heads up' and WATCH for expected changes in their areas - and not be surprised by sudden revisions - instead of having them filter slowly into councils as old stock is depleted!

why is that so difficult for National to do?

laura

It is not the SM's job to determine which version the scout uses. The date on the blue card is irrelevent. The Scout's instructions are not to start the badge until he contacts the MB counselor. The couselor, and the available resources, determine which version the scout starts with.

Bob -

its this "The couselor, and the available resources, determine which version the scout starts with."

that is giving me problems.

the people (adv chair, othe MB counselors) in my district are telling me that because the requirements aren't commonly known yet, and because the BOOKS aren't available yet, that they don't feel they should have to change yet and do the new requiremnts. ( the major impression I'm getting is that for this event, it's too much work to change at this late date - one of the inherant problems of doing a MB college)

What I am getting out of your statement is that, as the Merit Badge counselor, I have the option of chosing which version I teach?

this puzzles me, because it leaves open the possibility of people just being too lazy to learn new material. In this particular case, the requirements are SO new, that it is a legitimate argument that the info is not commonly known. But still, to me, ignorance and hiding your head in the sand (by saying they are too new and I'm going to ignore them) are at about the same level, and neither is an excuse for not doing the right thing, once you are aware of a change.

so at what point are MB counselors REQUIRED to go by new material? when the books are out in their council?

the other issue is -

is there some system in place by which a boys MB cards for Eagle badges ARE checked before he gets his Eagle? Do they just veryfy that they ARE in the system? or do they check and verify dates and things?

i know on some things in TroopMaster, dates can be very tricky and precise. I'm guessing that other record- keeping software that a council might use would be similar.

IS there any possibility that a boy's qualifications could be jepardized by not doing the new version of a badge once it is out?

Thanks -

Laura

This may be a simplistic observation, and I don't have a card in front of me, but how would anyone know which version of the requirements were completed? IIRC, there's no blank on the blue cards for "enter printing date of MB book used here:".

Just a thought,

--Gags

Laurie,

The director of the MB event and I are saying the same thing. Since the BSA publications (the resources of the merit badge) are not yet available to the scouts, you should not be teaching them at the event. Instead teach the current requirements and give an overview of the new ones. Tell the scouts they have the choice of starting now with the current requirements, or waiting for the new ones to be published and beginning with them. Until you as the MB counselor read the new book, how can you teach its contents?

As far as your second concern, the Council checks to see that all the needed merit badges have been earned, they trust the integrity of the counselors that they were earned correctly.

Gags,

The blue card records which requirements were completed on the way to the completed badge,. the current counselor simply talks to the scout and asks him about what he has done so far and compares it to the current requirements to see if they match. It just takes a little communicating.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Hello Laura,

There very definitely is a National plan. However, National things are done by volunteers too. Sometimes, things don't get done on time. Sometimes, the requirements recommended by the task force are not approved by the oversight committee and need to be reworked. And then, there is a schedule for printing of the advancement books.

I think there is a very simple solution although I know this will incur the wrath of a number of posters on this forum. In the words of my old Wood Badge Course Director "Don't overwork the problem." If the boys cannot conveniently get the materials needed to use the new requirements, use the old ones. Presumably those are good requirements too and even if there is a major revision, working the old requirements will contribute to the citizenship, character and fitness of youth.

Life is too short. You and the Scouts should be worried about Scouting and about having fun. You shouldn't worry about haunting the National web site or the Scout Shop to ensure that you have the new requirements the moment that they come out unless it is a very major revision as the last revision to the Eagle requirements was. In that case, there commonly is a drop dead date established and the last time, almost a year overlap was allowed.

Among other things, typically, a Scout Shop will sell out of their old requirements books before they start to sell the new ones. Would you (or any other forum member) fail to accept the merit badge of a Scout who bought a requirements book in good faith from the Scout shop and worked those requirements. Particularly if he was the last one to buy that book and as he walked out of the shop, they cracked open the box of new requirements books.