Jamboree Recruiting Ideas

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have been selected to serve as one of the ASM's for our 2005 Jamboree contingent. Our contingent will consist of 144 boys. Currently we have about half of that number registered. Obviously, the leadership is charged with recruiting the additional boys. For those who have been in this situation, what are some of the effective recruiting techniques you have used? Our council covers 24 counties in Oklahoma; probably more than a quarter of the state. We have 4 troops that have basically been divided geographically. We plan on finding out what our boundaries are and then getting a list of units and contacts within that area. We will make an announcement at Roundtables and visit individual units. I was thinking of making a presentation board with pictures and text and providing registration forms with a cover letter for parents explaining info on dates, costs, uniforms, etc. We would list the leaderships names and phone numbers on the letter. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I had a reply just about done when the power went out. It is snowing to beat the band. Right now the idea of the heat and the humidity of Fort A.P. Hill sounds marvelous.

Our Council is very small so we don't have as hard a job as you. We started at summer camp having a member a member of the committee make a presentation on parents night. Which at this time is not going to happen for you.

The hard thing that we found is getting the message to the parents.

To do this we held a rally. Letters were sent to every scout in the council inviting the Scouts and their parents to the meeting. We also explained that this was their opportunity to get signed up and secure their place by paying the deposit.

We enlisted the help of some of the Lads who were at the last Jambo to tag along with members of the committee to Courts of Honor and places where both the Scouts and the parents would be in attendance.

We have gone to great lengths to explain that while the price tag is not a small one that there will be ample opportunities to raise the money using the fund raising events that the committee will organize. In fact we have a frozen pizza delivery coming to my house this Friday. One Lad sold 45 pizza kits making $5.50 per kit. I am in contact with the Scouts that have signed up and asking them to invite their pals. We are now full and do have a waiting list. The Council next door is not doing so well so the hope is that we will be able to send a few of our Lads with them.

Eamonn

I would suggest finding a youth who was at the previous jamboree to talk to the units. Word of mouth is always best, especially by one of their peers. If you have anyone who was at the last Jamboree and has their own slide, pics, etc., show them. The promo videos are fine, but personalizsed pics are always better.

Our Area Pres. Is in charge of action center D. when both our troops were close to being full I asked him about applying for another troop, he said that national had been flooded with requests. If I remember correctly I think that he said there had been over 40 requests from the Northeast Region alone. I mentioned that last time they had opened sub-camp 20. He said that it was already full. That does not mean that there is no way that a Scout who wants to go can't. If he really wants to go I feel sure that he will be placed with a troop that has empty spots.

Still I wish you the best of luck.

Eamonn