Approprite Leader Search

The District in which I serve is made up of a lot of small townships and villages. Talk to the locals and there are places with names that only the locals know. These were little places where a few houses sprung up around something, in most cases something to do with coal.

There are a lot of people of both Polish and Italian origin. Many of the older people worked in the steel mills.

My small town of under 5000 has 15 churches. While at times finding people to come forward to volunteer does take a little arm twisting, most of the time once they have come forward there are no problems. A little while back I was talking to the district chair of another district in our council he said that he was having a real problem finding leadership for units in an area in the district in which he served. It is an area that once had a lot of industry mainly glass making. Over the years the area has gone down and is now a very rough place with a lot of drugs, guns, shootings and that sort of thing. He had a lot of luck in finding organizations that would charter a unit however when it came to adult leaders a good many of the people who were willing to come forward had been in trouble with the law mostly for drug use. Even though these people were no longer doing drugs and had turned their lives around they had a police record and he thought that they would never be allowed to be leaders in the BSA. Having never tried to see if a person with a record would be allowed I don't know what would happen.

The areas in which these people could serve are the areas that I happen to think really could benefit from having Scouting units.

Do you think that someone who has tried and is trying to make good ought to be allowed to be a leader?

Eamonn

I don't believe that simply having a past record makes you ineligible for scout leadership. How far in the past, the nature of the crime, the results of the personal references follow-up, all play a role in helping the Charter organization to select a leader and the BSA to accept or deny the membership.

In addition, a lot depends on the position that the adult is applying for. I would not want a person with a DUI conviction driving scouts unless I was confident that the problem was under control. However that same person might be fine in a committee function.

The decision is the Charter Organization Representatives and the Committee Chairs, unless the nature of the crime is one that would cause the BSA to refuse the application.

One of the great fictions of our society is that once you've paid your debt to society, you get a fresh start. It seems that once you've done wrong, it hangs over you for life. You can't vote, you can't buy a gun, you're an immediate suspect when something happens in your neighborhood.

For my part, if the guy has paid his debt and looks like he's making a clean life, he should be given a try. If nothing else, maybe working with Scouting will make him a better person.

From what he tells me some of these people have "Done time.And have records that would not meet BSA standards. These areas are mostly African American and there is not an over abundance of volunteers. So while the charter organization might be willing to allow them as youth leaders their criminal past would stick with them.

Without them there is no program hence more kids getting into trouble or do we take that chance and allow them?

Eamonn

Eamonn,

Do I understand you to say that every potential leader has been convicted of a violent crime, sexual abuse, or drug trafficking? Because I believe those are the only areas of criminal behaviour that will cause immediate rejection of their application.

No Bob.

The Chairman that I was talking with indicated that he was working with a church in the area and that he had several men who were willing to come forward but they had been in trouble with drugs. I really don't know much more.

Eamonn

Then I would offer that to determine that they would be refused as adult leaders is premature. If they were selected because they have characteristics and values that would make them good scout leaders then the CO should submit their applications and see if the BSA accepts them.

But to choose them because 'they are willing to do it' is not good criteria for leader selection even for people without a record.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Hello Eamonn,

My understanding is that checking the "yes" box for a felony, etc. is not an automatic disqualification. However, in a case like this, the District Chairman and Chartered Partner should make sure that the council knows the situation before the applications go in and is comfortable with it. That should involve any embarrassment to anyone concerned.

If some judgement about the persons's suitability needs to be made, it will be made in the local council, so the key person is the Scout Executive.

Hello Eamonn,

My understanding is that checking the "yes" box for a felony, etc. is not an automatic disqualification. However, in a case like this, the District Chairman and Chartered Partner should make sure that the council knows the situation before the applications go in and is comfortable with it. That should involve any embarrassment to anyone concerned.

If some judgement about the persons's suitability needs to be made, it will be made in the local council, so the key person is the Scout Executive.

Eamonn:

The answers you have received in this thread so far are on target. Charter partner approval and the Scout Executive (or designee) approval are the key.

The only automatic out that I'm aware of is convicted pedophelia.

DS