If 4 Councils merge how many camps will be replaced by mall centers?

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ews/140518337/

National is considering restructuring four councils -- " the Northwest Suburban Council, headquartered in Mount Prospect; the Des Plaines Valley Council, headquartered in La Grange; the Chicago Area Council, headquartered in Chicago; and the Calumet Council, headquartered in Munster, Indiana -- into one. There's also separate merger discussions between staff members at the Des Plaines Valley Council and the Three Fires Council, based in St. Charles. The Northeast Illinois Council, headquartered in Highland Park, was involved in consolidation discussions, but officials there decided to withdraw from those talks."

Northwest Suburban Council will operate a recruitment center inside Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg. "Called the Discovery Outpost, the storefront will contain displays and videos about all Scouting activities, but much of the focus will be on Scouting's connection with science, technology, engineering and mathematics, officials said."

Anyway interesting details, in particular the section on Camps

"In an April 24 email sent to Scouts and leaders, Boy Scout officials said "the issue of land management and camp properties is not relevant to" the discussion over council consolidation."

Hacker scouts wannabees?

I would like to see a breakout of Council expenses/revenues vs Camp(s) expenses/revenues. I am skeptical when a council bureaucrat says a camp(s) is 20, 25, 35% under-utilized, that usually means the camp revenue can't cover Council overhead expenses.

My $0.02

Hacker scouts wannabees? I would like to see a breakout of Council expenses/revenues vs Camp(s) expenses/revenues. I am skeptical when a council bureaucrat says a camp(s) is 20' date=' 25, 35% under-utilized, that usually means the camp revenue can't cover Council overhead expenses. My $0.02[/quote'] Are you referring to this article? I cannot find anywhere in the article where a bureaucrat spoke of under-utilization. I did find this "Within the Des Plaines Valley Council, overall camp attendance was down 25 percent, according to an April 16, 2013 blog post by George Krempel, the council's president." Are you skeptical of that claim?

Is the camp still in the black and is it still being utilized? When I hear about attendance fluctuations, my first thoughts are about programming and facilities, not selling the camp(s). Local control methinks, not distant larger super-councils.