KA6BSA: Good points to remember. I've always felt I was pretty good at spatial conceptualization. My Dad never worked in any of the fields you mentioned, but he did attend a vocational high school back in the 1940s and apparently had to deal with (and draw) many "exploded" diagrams. He never characterized it as something he enjoyed, but perhaps subconciously he was attracted to the challenge. He's also always been fascinated by gadgets and figuring out puzzles of all kinds.

Blade: You're already where I'm headed. I haven't decided on the exact knots for each level yet. I'm reviewing them one at a time (using 5 different sources) to, as F.O.G. pointed out, make sure each offers advantages not provided by others in the same category. Admittedly it's tough. Some of the differences are subtle, but I like this kind of challenge and I'm learning a lot about knotting in the process. Handouts will absolutely be a part of the new program - to me they're indespensible.

TwoCubDad: I know what you mean. I did my first splicing at Summer Camp this year while helping my son decipher his Pioneering MB homework. I used to relegate that kind of stuff to the "not for me" pile, but now I think it's pretty cool and one of the things on my big list of things I want to conquer. Thanks also for the reference, I'll check it out.

All: In my previous post I was wrong about whippings not really being knots. They are actually (along with lashings and seizings) special forms of binding knots.

This group has been a great help to me in the endeavor. I hope to return the favor.

The little gray cells are working!!

This would be a great pre-opening or gathering activity for Roundtable.

Who knows it might keep them coming back for more.

We could sell them the rope and have some sort of a recognition. Make a few bucks for the District FOS.

Fifty Scouters at ten dollars. Seven dollars profit = 50 X 7 =$350.00.

Who needs the United Way?

Eamonn

One book that I keep reading about and browsed recently in a book store is Ashleys Book of Knots. Many books on knots refer to it and some even go so far as calling it the 'bible' of knots. What I browsed was very impressive, has anyone else seem this book and what were your impressions.

Are you listening Santa?

yis

I own two different editions of Ashley's book and think it is very interesting, but it is also very expensive ($52.50 on Amazon) and has many chapters with so much detail that only the most diligent knot tyer (like me... I have more than 20 books on knots) would really want to own it. If you are trying to learn practical knots it isn't a good reference because the knots are arranged by their structure and with 3900 knots illustrated there are just too many of them.

An alternative book that I highly recommend is by Geoffrey Budworth (who updated and revised the latest edition of Ashley's book) titled "The Complete Book of Knots." It is less than $20 and has excellent clear pictures of the knots arranged by function, such as boating, caving, climbing, camping, fishing etc. He also gives an interesting history of each knot so you feel like you have gotten the best interesting parts of reading Ashley's 640 pages. Budworth's book comes in paperback or hardcover, and it really is much better than any of the others on my shelf for practical uses.

I have a hardcover Budworth book titled "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Knots & Ropework". I really like it. It has similar features/format to the one you mentioned. Not sure of the price (it was a Father's Day gift). I also have "The Handbook of Knots" by Des Pawson (softcover, under $20). I like it too, but the Budworth book is more thorough.

I'm really interested in seeing the Ashley book. I can't find a copy in any of the local bookstores so I'm currently searching the libraries. I'd be willing to lay out the money if I like the book, but not unless I really like it.

Thanks for passing along the references.

I have seen the Ashley book for sale on the shelf at the Borders Books here in San Diego. It is also available as I mentioned through Amazon.com for $52.50, and I think it might qualify for free shipping if that promotion is still going on.

There is nothing else like the Ashley book... it took him eleven years to write it. He was a well-off kid who liked to do oil paintings of boats, and eventually became a well respected artist, but the exposure at the harbor led him to continue compiling notes on knots for 40 years in preparation for writing the book, and it really is his life's work with more than 7000 of his own illustrations. Being first printed in 1944 three years before he died (Clifford W. Ashley 1881-1947) it has an old-world charm and is full of colorful anecdotes and humorous drawings. There are many "trick" methods presented that are easier to remember than the standard approach, but they are usually hidden in the pages among hundreds of other little-known or never-needed kinds of knots. I bought my first copy in 1970 for $16. But being the ultimate reference it is not for everyone... the Geoffrey Budworth books are much more straightforward and practical.