13th point of the Scout Law

OK. I think everyone that was going to reply has done so.

Now let me explain the point I was hoping everyone would get.

When you think of that 13th point you may think you have the perfect answer. However, when you try to explain why you will normally notice something. The point you are making is covered in the current 12 points, or wouldn't help even if it isn't.

My point was "thoughtfull". The idea was that people would take the time to think through their actions and consider what they are doing. The obvious problem was that if you are considering the Scout Oath and Law you are already being thoughtful. I think most other examples will suffer from similar problems. It is still a good excersise.

I think of the responses posted hear I like humble and honorable best. However, if you think about it, those areas are covered as well.

You got me Proud Eagle.

I sat here thinking up adjectives and then mentally crossing them off. "Gee, that kind of fits with this point. That one is covered by the oath." Talk about having your bases covered.

I would like to add "A Scout is Moral." I know it's repetitive especially with "morally straight" but some things are good to repeat. A scout should establish their own moral code, evaluate that moral code, and then live by it. I wanted to say, "A scout is (insert adjective for "integrity")" but my brain froze.

This is a favorite Eagle BOR topic here in San Diego too. We generally save it for that rather than have the younger ranks "figure it out ahead of time" but it can make a good discussion with any Scout.

What many of my boys have come up with is that we don't really need the "Clean" that much in modern times (They are also often asked which of the 12 could be eliminated). By that I mean in 1910 when B-P was setting priorities families were taking baths once a week on the farm with cold water and sharing the tub in sequence. Yes we want our Scouts to keep clean, but in modern life in the United States everyone takes a shower each day, and washes hands before eating as a given of proper sanitation and hygiene. It is just not something that needs to be raised to the level of 12 laws anymore. And when we expect Scouts at summer camp to get real dirty we just make sure they take a dip in the swimming pool every day!

My favorite 13th (or 12th if you replace the Scout is Clean) law is "A Scout is DEPENDABLE." Another word pretty close is "RELIABLE" and the meaning is actually different than any of the other laws. In our busy modern lives we are overscheduled and often late for appointments, or may even miss something important because of a conflict on the calendar. The kids are scheduled for all kinds of serious sports, for lessons, for all kinds of stuff that leaves them with hardly any free time. And the Scout Leaders are working late, working at home after dinner, both parents working and busy driving the kids to and from all their activities. So all of our Scouts at one time or another have been disappointed because an ASM didn't show up for patrol meeting, or their ride to a campout forgot to pick them up, or failed to allow for heavy traffic and are late, or forgot to check the gear and arrived missing something like the stove, or the essential trip planing didn't get done right because everyone was just too busy.

I think in society of B-P's day RELIABILITY and DEPENDABILITY were commonly assumed, but today it is something everyone must trade-off for just getting through the demands of our busy days.(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)