Parents are overrated.

What do you need them for, other than driving? Most parents are happy to do that a couple times a year.

Baden-Powell's version of Scouting requires neither parents nor an SPL. The Patrol Leaders run the Troop.

But these are serious leaders.

Here is the permission form I used in a "Baby Sitters of America" Troop with mostly absent parents:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/equipment/

I could see the parents in the background cringing. Any thoughts on getting the parents engaged?????

Yes, if you offer backpacking, climbing, scuba, canoe trips, shotgun, on a regular basis, word will get around, and high adventure parents, district/community/friends of friends will volunteer for those trips. These are adults who want NO part of typical BSA monthly campouts.

As for regular recruiting:

Consider a Facebook, YouTube, and Web presence: We get a slow but steady stream of Scouts who transfer to us from standard Troops. I plan to add Google+ soon.

Also, we make sure that Scouts earning the 1st Class "tell a friend or lapsed Scout about Scouting" requirement, to bring their friend to a cool campout (they do NOT have to register). Figure another 10% per year there.

And, of course, anyone with access to a public or private school can bring in an extra twelve (12) to twenty registered Scouts per year using my 6th Grade Recruiting Presentation:

http://inquiry.net/adult/recruiting.htm

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

Wow! Thanks Chris!
Parents are overrated.

What do you need them for, other than driving? Most parents are happy to do that a couple times a year.

Baden-Powell's version of Scouting requires neither parents nor an SPL. The Patrol Leaders run the Troop.

So you didn't answer my question.

So reading into what your saying you take a large number of parents with you on your outings?????

Parents are overrated.

You asked four questions. I answered 3&4.

Questions 1&2: I usually set the price at $10 per campout (which includes a good Dutch oven supper on Saturday), + a small refund. Money usually comes from the parents, but sometimes directly from the paper route Scouts' pockets...funny story about why I started permission slips --> a pair of European brothers who always paid their own way, and one weekend forgot to tell their parents we were going camping...

As for the number of adults on a regular campout, in the last urban Troop of which I was Scoutmaster, usually me and one other adult, unless you count the cigarette-smoking 14-16 year-old SPL who actually ran the Troop for my last two years. He joined the army on his 17th birthday, a couple weeks after I moved to Florida.

High Adventure always attracts more adults.

Backpacking: Maybe four to six on the low mileage Scouts' route (Patrols camped at least a football field apart), zero accompany the higher mileage Scouts when they plan to meet up with adults at a common destination before dark.

Scuba in a rural Florida Troop: One adult per two youth divers (total of 20 divers), including at least one certified divemaster with the ten to fourteen year-old divers.

I'm not sure what you are really asking...

Parents are overrated.

Now I understand your issue with physical distance

If you have very high adult numbers coming then you need to space your patrols a hundred yards apart from the adults.......

Parents are overrated.

So adults who coach youth or soccer games in which the end zones are spaced 100 yards apart have "issues"?
Parents are overrated.

hmmmmm,

Soooo,

coughs

How many parents do you have on an outing?????

Parents are overrated.

Yeah, I answered that, didn't I?

The Patrol System is based on physical distance.

Troop campouts work the same with two adults, or six.

Parents are overrated.

So are you running an outdoor rec club or a scout troop?????

I get the biggest kick out of the parents complaining they are not allowed to go on scout outings an the Scouting Facebook page..........

If the boys want a family campout they will schedule one..... My guys camp to get away from the nonsense at home.

Parents are overrated.

You asked how to get more parents engaged, I said offer backpacking, canoe, scuba, now you are bragging about how few parents you have engaged.

I wonder why everyone is avoiding this thread now...

Parents are overrated.

It is a balance. Enough adults to put on a program. But not so many they start directing the program...

It is my belief they don't was to join because they fear they would be expected to camp and participate....

I engage or buy into the program is what I am looking for........their particpation is option