I had a backyard campout when my youngest son was a Webelos Scout. Decided to bunk all 7 in one tent, 10x12. MISTAKE! Most wanted to be quiet and sleep, but 2 wanted to cause trouble, and there was not quiet until almost 2 am. Other than the getting-to-sleep part all went well, but if I have another campout with my current Webelos Den, I'll separate them for sure!
Wow that's incredibly weak...Why not actually go to a camp???? or call big brother troop to host you????
I had a backyard campout when my youngest son was a Webelos Scout. Decided to bunk all 7 in one tent, 10x12. MISTAKE! Most wanted to be quiet and sleep, but 2 wanted to cause trouble, and there was not quiet until almost 2 am. Other than the getting-to-sleep part all went well, but if I have another campout with my current Webelos Den, I'll separate them for sure!
BD, you know absolutely nothing about his pack or his den. This could have been some or all of the boys' first-ever camping experience. Maybe all the nearby campgrounds charge outrageous fees and the pack and families are low-income. Maybe they were all busy and could barely squeeze in a quick overnighter nearby. Maybe he has an absolutely amazing backyard that is far better than any crummy public campground with wall-to-wall people. A backyard camping trip is better than no camping trip. If you want people to listen and respect your opinion, then I think you should reconsider how you deliver your message.
This is what I did. Every boy listed 2 boys on a sticky note that he would like to tent with. And we have a discussion about treating everyone well. (one of our den norms). The discussion went like this, "you will get to tent with at least one of your guys on the sticky. No 'celebrating' when you hear who you get, 'be cool'. You may be also in the tent with someone who is not your best friend, that is okay too because getting along with other guys is one of the things scouts is about and I am so proud of how you all do that." Also there is a talk about "adults are in charge and if a tent combination is not working -- going to sleep or whatever there might be a change".

Then as an adult decision we organized the tents with the best combinations for the den as a whole. Each boy was with at least one of his buds. (I suggest a 3 and 4 combination in your case, but a 3, 2, 2 combination might work based on what is on the cards.) At camp after the tents are all set up have each tent have an "open house" for each other so they don't feel excluded. Take an extra 2 person in case you need to make a change.

Hope that helps

I think this might be a good way to approach it. I might even expand on your questionnaire and have them list whether they'd prefer to sleep alone (maybe I'll get lucky and the problem boys will want their own tent), what their normal bed times and rise times are (put boys on the same schedule together in the same tent), and have them list up to 3 boys they'd be willing to bunk with just in case I need more options. I think taking all those factors into account, I could come up with some tent assignments that I could argue were done logically and not by popularity.
This is what I did. Every boy listed 2 boys on a sticky note that he would like to tent with. And we have a discussion about treating everyone well. (one of our den norms). The discussion went like this, "you will get to tent with at least one of your guys on the sticky. No 'celebrating' when you hear who you get, 'be cool'. You may be also in the tent with someone who is not your best friend, that is okay too because getting along with other guys is one of the things scouts is about and I am so proud of how you all do that." Also there is a talk about "adults are in charge and if a tent combination is not working -- going to sleep or whatever there might be a change".

Then as an adult decision we organized the tents with the best combinations for the den as a whole. Each boy was with at least one of his buds. (I suggest a 3 and 4 combination in your case, but a 3, 2, 2 combination might work based on what is on the cards.) At camp after the tents are all set up have each tent have an "open house" for each other so they don't feel excluded. Take an extra 2 person in case you need to make a change.

Hope that helps

"... what their normal bet times and rise times are..."

Okay, I really am laughing out loud at that one. You've never been to Scout camp before, have you dedkad?

I realize this is still Webelos, but do you guys really think making tent assignments requires this much adult involvement. How about, "hey, ya'll figure out who your sleeping with."

It is a her and unless she owns 10 acres it is weak....So why bother pitching a tent....why not just sleep in the video game room.

My unit is low income....There are plenty of free and cheap camping options......I bet if she posts her location I can find a dozen within an hour drive.

I would never take a scout unit to a public campground, especially cub aged boys......This is one of our public image problems.

Hope that helps

I agree with 2cubs...you obviously have never done it before.....

you have the guys buddy up before you leave.

Your right about bed times......many parents of these boys have no clue it isn't ok for them to say up till 2 am........So the week before webelo resident camp I begin sending out daily reminders to the parents to begin getting their boys in bed by 11pm and up by 7 am.

Well just recovered from cub camp last weekend, 23 cubs in 3 eight man tents. First night usual madness with one tent chatting until 2AM. the second night no problems at all All tents asleep by 23:00. The cubs all went home to their parents Sunday afternoon very happy and very tired. Walked across to another couple of packs that were camping too, and they were pretty much the same. I also had 15 scouts from my group camping in four 5 man tents (we do have to separate the girls and boys) in another nearby field. I love the camp site we use, trees, grass and fresh water.

Cheers

Gareth

Hope that helps

I know, I know, I am totally overthinking this, but I just want to make sure the boys have a good time, which also includes bunking with someone they want to bunk with, and none of them will want to bunk with these problem boys. If I can give them a logical explanation on why the tent assignments ended up the way they did, then they might be more understanding and not feel like they are being punished if they end up in the tent with one of them.
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, Basementdweller, during his last 3 years in Cubs we (either the Pack or just the Den or just all the Webelos) had some sort of campout or overnight every single month. All of his Crossover ceremonies were conducted as part of a tent camping weekend at our council camp. We did resident camp at our council Cub summer camp, weekends in tents at the same place, lockins at the church hall, science center, and gym, weekends at state parks and privately owned campgrounds, and winter cabin camping at the next closest council's camp. The single night in my backyard was asked for by the boys when we sat down to plan our Webelos outings, and was held immediately following their first Pack meeting as Webelos (the same night). They made tie dyed Tshirts, homemade pizza, a campfire, and cooked their parents breakfast on our propane stove, and those who were on their first campout learned how to pitch a tent. It was THEIR plan and we did what they asked to be able to do. It was far from weak and was the only campout attended by all 7 boys. Big brother Troop never had to "host" us, but we did camp together with them a couple of times. Call me what you want... but don't call any part of my Cub program weak, because it that is just not so.

I will go ahead and post my location... I live in Baltimore. While I was in that Pack (I'm in a different Pack now) we camped at Broad Creek, Antietam, Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry, Camp Rodney (Brown Lodge and Fisherman's Lodge), Bee Tree Preserve, Valley Forge, Elks Camp Barrett, Elk Neck State Park, the Flying Circus, and Fort McHenry.