Yup, I'm back with another question :) I tried using the search on here before posting but with all the trouble I've had in the past few days accessing the forum, I'm taking the short cut and posting about this (I'll continue to search manually just in case this has been addressed too many times before.)

For summer camp, I was also asked to design den doodles as well as smaller versions of the den doodles (not sure the correct terminology for these.) The den doodles are laminated 'bookmark' sized pieces of paper with a core value written on them and an accompanying image and tied to a piece of yarn. The smaller version is the same word and image (small square) and a hole punched in it, no yarn. I had never heard of these before now and tonight at our meeting someone said we weren't doing den doodle beads this year but what I made instead. The den doodles would be tied to a den flag made at camp while the smaller versions would be looped on a book bag hook that each scout would get at camp.

So I asked a few questions, didn't get much of a response on the significance of these and came home to search it up online. I got so many varying results on what exactly a den doodle is (and how they are 'normally' created/used) so I was wondering is this something every pack has or something extra? I didn't find anything on 'not' having one so I figured I'd research more. I read somewhere I could find out more in one of the many books I got at the scout shop so I'm headed off now to read more. Just curious as to what everyone here uses (or used in the past.)

Never bothered, not sure what the purpose is. We had a poster of the advancements (ror Bear), with each boy's name, so at the end of the meeting we could mark off what we did for everyone there.

Never bothered' date=' not sure what the purpose is. We had a poster of the advancements (ror Bear), with each boy's name, so at the end of the meeting we could mark off what we did for everyone there.[/quote']

I also made a poster for our Tigers (other den leader thought of it but never did it.) After making it she informed me there was a pre-made one we could have used, lol. Ah well, I liked ours. I also brought it to all the meetings and each scout marked off what they did each time.

I put a lot of effort into our den doodle. I designed it to match the totem pole outside the elementary school. I love totem poles. The boys can earn beads for advancement, attendance, uniforming, parental involvement, and good turns.

That looks amazing! I wouldn't have the patience, lol. I would looove to get my husband to help with something like that but no one else at our pack has ever brought something like that (if they do have it, it doesn't make it to pack meets.) Are you the only one that gives beads for it or do they earn them at pack meets as well? As far as I know, our pack only gets items at the summer camp for theirs and those items don't go on our regular flag but the camp flag (no idea where that goes after camp.) I have to ask since I read it also, did you get a cub mobile done?

I meant to add last night that I saw at our CM's house that her son had a walking stick with a hole drilled through it and all his individual things strung on it (he had pieces of paper and beads.) She said they used to do those at camp but decided to do bookbags instead this year due to hazards with the kids and sticks (kept beating one another I'd imagine, lol.) Maybe that was their own personal totems/doodles. So many different things, not sure if I'll ever figure it out, lol.

The only beads on my den doodle are the ones that I have awarded to the boys. They do earn a bead for attending pack meeting, in uniform and bring a parent. Yes, we built a cub mobile last year. Actually I assigned the building of the cub mobile to a dad in our den. He did a great job. It was really fast, and we won! We were going to race it again this year, but we weren't invited to the race. That is, I'm not sure they had it. Communication break down between one end of the district and the other.