Leader changes: how to record them?

Laurie:

Have him fill out another adult application (blue parts only) and get the proper signatures of approval for the change in position. Turn it in to the council service center and the registrar can make the change. You shouldn't have to pay a $1.00 transfer fee for a change in position. If you do that, his position will print out correctly on the recharter paperwork.

DS

Twocubdad:

I purposfully neglected the option to simply let him ride out the charter -- but it wasn't a big reason to do so.

Actually, there is no harm in leaving the Webelos leader registered as such and simply changing the position code on the charter when it comes around unless the guy cares to get the proper mailings for his position.

If he remains registered as a Webelos Leader, he will continue to get program helps in his scouting magazine but will not get any mailings from the council office that are specific to commitee members. There aren't many mailings that are sent only to committee members, so it's probably okay to leave him on as a Webelos leader until recharter time.

Now you have both the by the book answer and the reality answer. I think it's best to do things the right way -- which is by the book, but this is one of those areas where error is safe and there really isn't any real harm to the boys to do it the easy way.

DS

dave, and all

In our council even at recharter they are requiring a new application for a position change, just the Blue part only. We beleive this is so National will foot the bill for background check like they are in the first 2 years before councils have to start funding it.

I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. Once councils have to pick up the tab for the criminal background check, things will get even tougher. It's going to cost a couple of bucks per leader and we're not sure we're willing to pass that cost along to the checkee . . .

DS

Not only for the background check but to insure that the Charter organization rep or Charter head has fullfilled their responsibility to select and approve all adult leaders. just because the leaders of the CO have approved someone as a committee member does not mean that they would approve the same person in a different position such as an ASM. You need a new application when an adult changes responsibility so that the CO can confirn or deny the adults participation in that role.

Bob White

Thank you! Since it seems councils do vary in handling this, I will ask at roundtable next week, just to be certain I'm in line with our council. This doesn't seem urgent, nor does it seem all that important, but in our efforts to maintain records, this was one item we just didn't know how to handle. You advice and time is much appreciated.

Our CO is not involved at all. That bothers me somewhat since there is a space for adult leader forms asking for COR or IH signature. The CM said he has always signed as both CC and COR, so he did again this year too. We didn't have a CC until recently (except in name), and no COR either. How serious a problem is this? Or isn't it?

This is a very serious problem for your Cubmaster who has opened him or herself up for being personally liable for the actions of the adult leaders. In addition your memberships could be considered fraudulent meaning that in case of a lawsuit stemming from an injured scout for instance, you might not have liability coverage or legal protection fronm the BSA.

Work with your DE to reestablish a relationship with the Chartering organization. The scout unit belongs to them.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Thank you, Bob. I had told him that the COR wasn't with the church and that meant we were without one. He did not seem concerned, but I'll follow up by asking him how we in the pack should handle applications in need of this signature. This particular issue is not unknown to our DE, Unit Commissioner, or the CO. It falls into the category of "we've always done it this way and it works". I'm considered an alarmist because I do ask if this will present us with problems at some point. Thank you for the advice and the caution.

Laurie I think DSteele, our resident scouting professional, will tell you that it is highly unlikely that a DE would knowingly let a unit operate without a CO, or a unit leader's application get processed without a COR or charter heads signature. The bylaws of the BSA require a unit be sponsored by a Chartering Organization, and that the COR be a member of that organization.

Someone is not being totally open with you about the situation.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Laurie:

Your DE needs to wake up and follow the rules. Having the CM sign for the COR and Chartered Organization opens more liability issues than one should be willing to face. Talk to the Field Director or Assistant Scout Executive, politely, and quietly, and make sure that those who have the authority to approve leaders and their positions do so.

DS

Dave and Bob,

Thank you again. This is now very alarming to me. I will take your advice and quietly proceed from here. Gentlemen, thanks for understanding and pointing me in the right direction.

Laurie