Pre build pine wood cars

"It seems that it's just assumed that they're greedy, stupid or both. "

Not stupid, just greedy.

"A non-wood worker like me"

My woodworking skills were learned in 7th grade shop class. My son and I used a hacksaw (not a coping saw) to cut out his first PW Derby car.

"the single mom who has no tools or woodworking abilities"

That's as sexist as all get out.

Everyone seems to think that building a PWD car is like making a ladderback chair. It isn't.

FOG

I agree they are not stupid just making a buck to fund the magazine.

Yes a pinewood car can be rocket science if you want it to be. But some of the fastest cars I've seen look like Fred Flintstone made them.

the single mom who has no tools or woodworking abilities"

I've seen Dads that don't know what a hammer is, My boss is one of them and freely admits it.

If you can't build for whatever reason there are pre-cut kits. Sanding is easy and good therapy. Add some paint and it could be a job done without tools.

Maybe we sould all kick ourselfs and say "Why didn't I think of selling pre-built cars".

"If you can't build for whatever reason there are pre-cut kits."

A pre-cut defeats half the purpose of the event. The actual race is minor, the fun is in the design and building.

Unless you are severly disabled, you can build a car from the Scout Shop kit with no woodworking tools. Heck, one of the fastest cars that I ever saw was the whole block of wood painted to look like a school bus.

Woodworking tools? When I was a Cub Scout, I whittled my car with my pocket knife.

Pre-cut kits give people the easy way out. Rather than looking for a solution to the problem of construction, they go for the kit.