I was recently selected to be on the staff for the national jamboree, in the fire protection group. Since this is my first jamboree, does anyone have insight on what to expect. Any info on jamboree staff would be greatly appreciated.

Hi BCT106,

I was on staff for the 2001 Jamboree. The position I had was a Dining assistant for the Northeast region at subcamp three. Although I can not give you any insight to the position in the fire protection group, I can share about my over all experience.

As staff you arrive early, leave late, work hard and have one of the memorable times of your life. Since you and others pay to do this everybody wants to be there, the staff that surrounds you is usually great people and wonderful Scouters. It is really cool to watch the troops come in and a city of over 25,000 springs to life in less than a day. It is equally sad to see the same city dismantled as fast once it is all over. Be prepared to be emotionally drained if not also physically when you are done. But the reward is memory of a fantastic historical event that will be rekindled when you come across the few patches that you have traded for from some far away part of the country or the world, which only this event can provide. The reward is also knowing that you in some way helped a scout also have a tremendous experience. For without the support of the thousands of Scouters like you who volunteer their time this event would not be possible.

I do not know if this has helped, if you have some specific questions this forum is a great resource to get some responses.

SM406

There are some similarities to the Jamboree and Brigadoon -- only the Jamboree appears to rise from the mist more frequently.

I was the Logistics Coordinator for Action Center B in 1997 -- not an easy job (few are out there) but it was a fantastic experiance.

It's a city of its own and I'm sure there will be similarities in the fire department to any other city with 100,000 folks walking around every day and some 35,000 residents.

Good luck to you.

DS