I have just been assigned my first task as a Jr. Assistant Scoutmaster. It was to redo our Troop Handbook.

The Scoutmaster handed me the handbook and basically said to have a new done As Soon As Possible.

I have the handbook, the Scoutmaster Jr. Leader Training Kit, and the Troop Committee Guidebook. The only problem is I don't know what I should put in or take out of the Handbook.

What does your book include or disclude. Do you have a copy online? Please help me put together a good handbook to make my first task a success.

I guess I'll have to start by saying that our troop didn't do things the Boy Scout way until 2-3 years ago. I also have to say that this book was created during that period. Before then the troop was ran as a "Boys Group".

Therefore the information that is in the book isn't accurate and the biggest majority has to be altered if I do keep it.

So, what I should ask, is what do you have in yours. What is included? Do you have a copy on the internet?

We have a letter of welcome from the Scoutmaster, the Committee chair and the Charter Organization head. A roster of the troop and committee, a troop calendar, an application form, and the latest troop Newsletter.

Everything else is communicated in the monthly newsletters, by e-mail, or personal contact as the situation warrants.

Never needed a troop handbook for parents other than the Boy Scout Handbook.

Bob White

Much of what our handbook includes is taken straight from BSA publications.

We list the Aims and Methods along with an explanation of each. Explanations and requirements for troop positions (youth and adult). Explanation of "active". Fund raisning and "scout account" explanation. Uniform expectations along with an inspection sheet. Code of conduct and discipline. Equipment check out procedures. Responsibility for lost or damaged equipment. How to do a merit badge. How to request a board of review. Religious emblems program.

Why do we have one? So no one can say, "I didn't know that I was supposed to . . ." Basically the whole thing is CYA.

What is the target audience of your troop handbook? Is the youth members or the parents, or both?

Suggested topics:

Schedule of elections for youth leaders. Job descriptions and expectations for youth leaders. Information about scout accounts held by the unit treasurer, if your unit maintains such accounts. Information about financial polices; dues amounts, when dues are paid, what dues cover and what they don't cover. Information about a unit uniform exchange if your unit does this. Unit policies about equipment; sign out procedure, maintenance of inventory, policies on equipment return to the quartermaster. Information on training opportunities and schedules for both adult and youth leaders.

Just a few thoughts.