The King and the Wall

A long time ago, a mighty king decreed that a very high, impenetrable wall be built around his most prized castle. The workmen began immediately. Several weeks into the project, as the king was preparing to leave on a trip, he noticed that the work had stopped.

The King called the head workman over to him and asked why the work had stopped. The workman replied, Sire, our desire is to serve and to do what you want, but we have no more stones to use to build the wall. We have looked all over the region and cannot find any more stones. Now the king was normally very kind and reasonable, but he was stressed out over his journey, which would be quite long. The king replied, I want this wall finished when I get back, and I dont care where you get the stones to finish it!

Several months later, the king returned from his trip. As he rounded the hill in front of his castle, he saw the highest wall he had ever seen. As he approached, he noticed how strong and richly ornamented the gate was. When he arrived at the gate, it was announced that he had returned. The gate began to slowly open. As it opened, the King noticed that something was wrong. His castle, which should be in the middle of the wall, was gone because the workmen had used the stones from the castle to finish the wall.

Leadership is not just about making demands, but about helping to enable those you lead to do what needs to get done. And sometimes to roll up your sleeves and help get it done.