I have thought about this for years and find much agreement with what has been said.

Having grown up in the BSA and now a Leader, I have seen this from the youth and adult side.

My opinion has distilled to this adage:

Scouting needs to become the squeaky wheel.

By that I mean is that for Scouting to become the "last thing to cut " in a boys ( and their families) life it needs to become more than a past-time with minimal time and effort requirements.

...more service projects, more meetings than the 1 hour a week, more and different outdoor events than once a month, more events with the C.O., etc.

more, more, more!

With consistency, many Packs/Troops that fail do not try to have a "denser" schedule. The Packs/Troops that succeed are those who provide a lot of activities. The boys and their families get more involved with the program, develop roots and succeed.

My son is now deciding between two Troops of differing temperaments to cross-over to. Joining one will be like "jumping in the ocean surf", the other like "jumping into a calm lake". The "ocean surf" Troop will be a little intimidating at first but will be a great, fun, and memorable ride. The "calm lake" Troop will comfortable, slow, and predictable.

I think he will choose wisely.

The other factor is the general laziness and selfishness of our society. I find that adults are often the ones who cut Scouting and not the boys. It is easier to drop off and pick up than stay and support. I agree with acco40.

I am off the soapbox now!