Summertime Award question

I'm hoping someone can help me with this one!

I understand that one of the criteria for earning the Summertime Award is that the pack needs to hold an activity in June, July, and August. Does this mean that the scout has to attend an activity each month to earn his pin? For example: A scout attends 2 activities in June, 0 in July, 1 in August. He has gone to 3 pack activities, does he qualify for the award? And do den activities, day camp and scout camp qualify as a summertime activity?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Nancy

I no longer have my Cub Scout books available but as I recall, to earn the Summertime Award, a Cub Scout need to attend one pack activity EACH month. So two in June and none in July would not qualify. The idea is to get the Cub Scouts to do something every month.

From what I'm reading in the CUb Scout Leader Book the Pack must offer one event each month and for a scout to be eligible he must participate in all three of the pack events.

Day camp counts as one activity for one of the months. Den meetings don't count because there isn't an expectation that 50% of the pack is participating.(This message has been edited by AdvanceOn)

Thank you for your responses, but I still don't have the main question answered. Awards will be ordered soon.

It seems the leader book does not get into specifics, assuming the pack will just have one event per month it just says "for the scout to be eligible he must participate in all three of the pack events". What happens if the pack has 2-3 events per month? What if the scout attends 4-5 events, but just missed all of them from, let's say, the month of August. Is the scout eligible or not?

From what I have read, the pack itself is responsible for providing an event each month, but nowhere does it mention the scout attending each month.

I have visited many pack websites. Some require scouts to attend one each month, some say any 3 events attended in the summer will do. Does this mean that since the rules are unclear, the pack can choose the way they want to go with it?

I have contacted my local council, and have not gottten an answer.

Thanks for any help with this matter.

THE REQUIREMENTS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

The pack has to plan and conduct a monthly pack activity for June, July, and August.

The Recognitions

A pack committee member should keep the record of activities, participation of dens, and attendance of Cub Scouts. Submit the application form to the local council service center as soon after your August activity as possible. An appropriate pack meeting ceremony should be planned for the presentation of the awards, which are:

For the Pack - A full-color certificate suitable for framing and an attractive streamer for the pack flag.

For the Dens of the award earning Pack - A den ribbon for each den that has 50 percent or more of its boys participating in each of the three activities.

For the boys of the award earning Pack - A pin for each boy who takes part in all of the summer months' activities. (English majors: does "all" quantify the summer months or the activities? For a Pack with one activity a month, no problem. But for a Pack with two events in a month does the Scout need to attend every summer month (June July August) or every activity?)

Because the minimal requirement is one activity per month, I would interpret the requirement as the Scout needs to attend at least one Pack activity per month in the summer. Therefore, if a Scout has zero attendance in July, he does not earn the individual award (pin).

(This message has been edited by acco40)

GIVE THE KID THE DANG PIN!

My theory is that in the absence of a clear policy, the local leaders should apply their best judgement. The botomline intent of the program is that the pack will hold three acitivities and that any Scout going to all three earns the pin. Does anyone really care that your July activity was held August 2? Since there is not clear policy for all the possible permutations and exceptions, take the policy you have, use you best judgement and do what's in the best interest of the kids and the program.

The Pack With Which I Serve has a heck of a time trying to fit three activities in. Summer ends up being only nine weeks around here. Subtract two weeks of day camp, one week of Webelos resident camp and the week of Independence Day, there's not much time left. Because many of our pack leaders volunteer to help with both camps, they all have to take their family vacations during the remaining weeks.

But let me ask another question: Do any of the rest of you count day camp and Webelos camp as summertime activities? We haven't in the past. I read somewhere in the day camp literature that camp could count "if you attend it as a pack." What the heck does that mean? We register as a pack but all the Scouts go individually and are assigned to temporary day camp dens. We attend Webelos camp in our natural dens with our regular den leaders (mostly). But since that's only for Webelos, is it a pack activity? What do the rest of you do?

Or did I answer my own question in the first paragraph?

Twocubdad --

But did at least 50% of your pack participate in the day camp and/or camp? It doesn't matter that they weren't constantly together.

As I think you imply with your first statement -- the goal is not to shut kids out but to build opportunities for these kids to participate in summertime activities and not lose touch with scouting.

Twocubdad, read the posts carefully. Let's say the Pack did have an activity in August (8/2 as you suggest) but the Cub Scout did not attend! Would you still award the Scout the pin? I think not.

The requirements are clear. Don't add, don't take away.

Yes, but he made up for it in June (and let's assume it was late June). I think the spirit of the requirement is to attend three events. Certainly I wouldn't count three consecutive days of day camp, but if the boy is active all summer, I think he should get the pin. Otherwise, the argument could be made that the pack has added a requirement by conducting four activities and requiring attendance at all four.

AdvanceOn -- the 50% requirement is for the den award, not the pack award. So you would count day camp? How about Webelos camp?