working on a book - would love input

Ron,

I don't use Wikipedia for research, so there is no link. Not everything is on the internet. You could probably find her there though. Please refer to the BSA National Archives, Bob Peterson's History of the BSA, The Kentucky Road Marker Manual, and passenger records provided by the US National Archives for starters.

"Troop leader of Boy Scouts," Nope, that would not be her. If you said, "first leader of a group of English-type Scouts in the USA," then she may be.

Like I said in an earlier post, the semantics make the argument valid or not. Fun to think about, though.

You may wish to check out this website:

http://www.thescoutingpages.org.uk/speeches.html

It has recordings of B-P's speeches, its quite an insight to listen to him speak and hear him talk about the Program. That developing good citizens and men of charactor were very important to B-P and he shows he also had a pretty good sense of humor.

In the recording "BP Gives a Talks to Scouts"

B-P says the following "...We want more young men and even young women to come forward as Scoutmasters. There is work for all, and good work..."

So, if B-P was inviting women to be scoutmasters, where does the resistance to women scoutmasters come from now? The ignorant perhaps?

Writer, listen to these speeches, you will find elements of what B-P talks about in the BSA(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

I think BP was speaking more of an "ideal" situation.

The UK Scouts did not even go coed in ANY of it's programs (Venture) until 1976 (around the same time our Explorers did).

I wonder when they started letting women be more than a support roll and be an actual Scoutmaster?

Women did not even have the right to vote when Scouting was started. Scouting was segregated. It was a very different world back then.

I think BP was speaking more of an "ideal" situation.

The UK Scouts did not even go coed in ANY of it's programs (Venture) until 1976 (around the same time our Explorers did).

I wonder when they started letting women be more than a support roll and be an actual Scoutmaster?

Women did not even have the right to vote when Scouting was started. Scouting was segregated. It was a very different world back then.