Lord Rowallen/Rowallan?

Lord Rowallan was Chief Scout of the Commonwealth and Empire from 1945 until he retired in 1959. His given name was Thomas Godrey Polson Corbett, and he assumed the peerage title of Lord when his father died in 1933. He was born in 1895 and died in 1977. He was a military man in the British army.

He took over the chief scout position after Lord Somers. Lord Somers was chief scout from 1941 until his death in 1944.

Lord Somers took over after Lord Baden-Powell of Gilwell died. Baden-Powell of Gilwell was chief scout from 1908 thru 1941

Be_Prepared is correct.

Baden Powell was never Lord Rowallan.

There was also in the early days of UK Scouting Roland Phillips.

I think he may have been a Lord?

He donated a very nice house in London to the Boy Scouts. He had been Commissioner for Scouts in the East End of London, which at that time was the poor area of London.

Back in the early 70's I went to Roland House to take Scout Leader Training.

At that time the House was used as a hostel for college students. I'm not sure if they lived there for nothing or for a very small rent? I do know that they were expected to serve in a leadership role serving the needs of inner-city kids in the East End.

I seem to remember that there was a lot of fuss when the house was sold. It really was a beautiful facility, but maintaining it was very expensive. I seem to remember signing a petition to keep it open.

Eamonn.

OGE.

November 15, 1999 was the last time a Lord Rowallan sat in the house of Lords

The Labour government banished the hereditary peers from the House of Lords.

Gives a whole new meaning to job security!!

Even if they offer me a seat, it no longer means that OJ will be the Next Lord of Fulham And Hammersmith. So it seems that there is no Woolsack in our future.

Still the pay was never that good:

128.00 overnight accommodation, 64.00 for day subsistence and

53.50 for secretarial assistance.

Eamonn.