The thread on how to choose Scouters for Philmont prompted me to start this thread. Are any of you Scouters insulin dependent diabetics and what are the challenges and limitations you have experienced?

My son and I went on vacation last week and tent camped at a popular lake in our state. I wear an insulin pump and manage my diabetes well. In camp, we had our food of course and it was no problem to check my blood sugar with my glucose monitor and eat accordingly. I didn't follow the motto of "be prepared" however when we took our small fishing boat out to check our trotline. The trotline is about a mile across the water from camp. When we were ready to return to camp, the engine would not start. There was not another boat in sight to tow us. We had to start rowing. Thank the good Lord that my brother had come down for the night and was with us to share the chore. We rowed about a quarter mile to a cove with some boat houses where we could see some cars. We beached the boat and found someone to give us a ride back to camp. When we got there, I checked my blood sugar and it was a very low 55. If we had to row further, I would have ended up in serious trouble. My bad. My stupid. I knew better. It was a short boat ride back and forth and I didn't see the need of packing a glucose monitor and food for a 30 minute trip. Live and learn.

That was what I experienced last week and it got me to wondering and worrying about participating in some future scouting events. Anyone with diabetes and scouting experience wish to weigh in?

I'm not diabetic (yet!), but my wife is an RN and my mother was insulin dependent Type 2. She advises that we should always carry glucose tablets, or cake frosting in the squeeze tube...someone unconscious cannot swallow solids so the frosting is squeezed in between the cheek and gum and massaged in. Avoid the color blue, since it will look like cyanosis! It will absorb through the skin of the gums. All scouts and scouters who camp with diabetics should be trained in the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia (low sugar) and first aid.