District Annual Business Meetings

Our District will soon be holding its Annual Business Meeting. All registered District Members at Large and Chartered Organization Representatives are eligible to vote on District nominees. I am a Chartered Org Rep but will not be able to attend this meeting due to a work conflict. My question is will I be able to provide my proxy to a registered Scouter from one or our organization's units so that they can vote?

"My question is will I be able to provide my proxy to a registered Scouter from one or our organization's units so that they can vote"

I'm not exactly sure what the book answer is.

I don't ever remember seeing it anyplace.

But here in my neck of the woods.

The answer would be a no.

I don't know how familiar you are with these meetings?

Sad to say for the most part they are a waste of time.

The Nominating Committee Chair. Puts forward the slate of officers and it is as a rule passed.

If for whatever reason the slate of officers fails to pass, the meeting should be closed and re-opened when the Nominating Committee comes up with a list that is acceptable. -In the real world this rarely ever happens.

Often the only officers elected are the District Chairman, who may or may not put the names of the District Committee Chairs (Training, Camping Finance and so on.) Out there. But a role of the District Chair is to select and recruit these people, so sometimes especially if it's a new District Chair? He or she hasn't got around to doing this by the time of the meeting.

District Commissioners are not voted on, these are selected by the Council Commissioner.

Anyway when it comes to missing this meeting? Unless you have a really big beef with the District Nominating Committee? Your not missing very much!

Ea.(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

"My question is will I be able to provide my proxy to a registered Scouter from one or our organization's units so that they can vote"

I'm not exactly sure what the book answer is.

I don't ever remember seeing it anyplace.

But here in my neck of the woods.

The answer would be a no.

I don't know how familiar you are with these meetings?

Sad to say for the most part they are a waste of time.

The Nominating Committee Chair. Puts forward the slate of officers and it is as a rule passed.

If for whatever reason the slate of officers fails to pass, the meeting should be closed and re-opened when the Nominating Committee comes up with a list that is acceptable. -In the real world this rarely ever happens.

Often the only officers elected are the District Chairman, who may or may not put the names of the District Committee Chairs (Training, Camping Finanace and so on.) Out there. But a role of the District Chair is to select and recruit these people, so sometimes especially if it's a new District Chair? He or she hasn't got around to doing this by the time of the meeting.

District Commissioners are not voted on, these are selected by the Council Commissioner.

Anyway when it comes to missing this meeting? Unless you have a really big beef with the District Nominating Committee? Your not missing very much!

Ea.

A careful reading of the guidelines for the District Nominating Committee shows that only voting members present at the Annual Business Meeting may vote. There appears to be no provision for proxy voting.

Also, the District Commissioner is technically recommended for the position by the District Nominating Committee. It is up to the Council Executive Board to approve (or reject) the District candidate for the Commissioner position, with the concurrence of the Council Scout Executive. However, from a practical standpoint, the Council Commissioner can (and often does) have a major role in selecting District Commissioners.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/commissioner/pdf/513-332_Fillable.pdf