District Nominating Committee

Has anyone out there in the Scouting world ever heard of a nominating committee consisting of 11 members none of which are registered scouters? None of which any current district Scouters have ever heard of?

Has anyone out there in the Scouting world ever heard of making suggestions to the nominating committee through the DE rather than the head of the nominating committee or District chair?

Just curious.

Abel

"Procedure Ninety days prior to the district annual meeting, the district chairman will submit suggestions for members of the nominating committee to the council president for approval.

This committee should consist of three to five members.

The president has the discretion to add or delete names for the nominating committee from the council executive board or the community at large. It is recommended that the council president appoint a member of the council executive board to serve on this committee. In the event of a vacancy in the office of district commissioner, the president may ask the council commissioner to serve on the committee."(This message has been edited by abel magwitch)

AM,

11 members on a NC, no I have not. Members of the community who are not registered,yet anyway, yes. My district did that to get some fresh blood on the committee so we would not stagnate. Some were very well known, some not so well known.

As for current district committee member being on the NC, only those members who were steppign down.

As for going through the DE for nominations, I did that when I didn't have a district chair or nominating committee chair yet but wanted some names, but the dist. commissioner was also accepting them as well.

Hi Eagle,

I have posted before - there are currently only 5 district committee members in my district who were appointed by the DE, my district no longer has a district commissioner and has not since last February. My district was totally without any district committee until July, the new district chair was appointed by the DE and approved by the council president without any input from our last district nominiating committee (which was also appointed by the DE), (they only met once) - the new district chair was already approved before this last nominating committee was even formed.

Needless to say, our current DE is running the show by handpicking his district volunteers who do not know Scouting.

Abel(This message has been edited by abel magwitch)

Why wouldn't you register them as adult scouters? Sure, get some new blood in. At the first meeting, tell them there's some paperwork and that afterward you'll give them a nifty shoulder patch to put on the uniform they'll be buying because surely they're going to want to visit a camporee or something during the year to get a first hand look at what's happening and how things are going and they don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. The second time they meet, spend 20-30 minutes and run them through Youth Protection, so that they will know what to be looking for when they go on a fun trip to a camporee or something during the year, because not everyone else is following the rules (really, it's just to get them trained, but you want to sugarcoat it so that they will want to get trained).

Given your feelings about the professional staff, the district and how your council camps are run, have you considered that the decision has been made that the district needs to be rebuilt from scratch with all new volunteers untainted by the old ones?

Not saying that would be a good thing, or that they are going about it properly, but maybe you should read the writing on the wall....

2Cub,

the pros may be trying to rebuild without getting older district committee members, but one thing they cannot do is not recognize the CORs as not only district, but also council committee/board members. that's part of the annual charter. A council violates that, they may get in some trouble.

Been to many stock holders meeting? The CEO stands there and takes crap from a handful of unhappy share holders for an hour, then announces the vote totals which were decided by a few majority shareholders months ago. Maybe the council has done the same math with the CORs.

Not saying it's right, just saying....(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)