SE Retirement

Well, our Scout Executive is retiring soon and we'll be breaking in another one. Many of us in my council would like to provide him and his wife with a proper send off and maybe some nice parting gifts to remember us working slobs by.

Have any of you gone through this.

What have you done as far as giving a gift to the exiting SE? His wife/spouse? A cheasy plaque, certificate of thanks...any idea is better than no idea. Any gags you've pulled on them?

I'm pretty sure there's no regulation or publication that can be quoted here, so this may be a safe topic.

Thanks in advance for your input.

One of which I was rather proud. When our former SE retired in the mid '80s, a number of us gave money to create a fund in the council endowment in his name. Once a year, at our council's annual meeting, this award in his name is presented to a member of the professional staff who has done a particularly good job of exemplifying the professional service and the Oath and Law. The award is name listed on a plaque plus a sum of money to sent the recipient to a training course (not necessarily BSA) which they would otherwise not be able to attend.

One SE I knew retired we knew he enjoyed fishing. We had a custom rod made for him with his name on it and we all signed the rod case. He seemed very touched.

I guess my suggesting is give them something personal and nonscouting that they will use and appreciate.

Not an SE but a DE who was the lodge's staff adviser that retired. We knew he paid out of pocket for a lot of stuff and went the extra mile for the lodge. Best Staff adviser we ever had, and he is still active as a volunteer in scouting and the lodge. All the advisers for the lodge and a few youth and other adults got together and contributed $500 as a thank you gift. Most of us wish we could afford more because he has, and continues to, served the lodge.