Issuing charters ?

Over the years I have been involved with helping to start several new units.

Sometime back someone gave me a knot along with a lapel pin.

I never really gave much thought to what happens next.

Without going over the entire way /method of starting a new unit. Which can be found on the BSA site.

I did my bit. Made the sale and all that good stuff and was happy to leave the signing of the Charter Agreement to the Head of the Chartering Organization and the DE.

I was always 99.9% Sure that the organization was an organization that held the same values as the BSA.

I do have to admit that I never really gave this a lot of thought being as most of the organizations were Service Clubs or Churches. I did have a coffee Shop start a Crew, but the owner was a guy who had been a long time Scouter. It didn't last long -The coffee shop went out of business.

The DE is an employee of the local Council.

He reports to his big boss the Scout Executive, who is also an employee of the local Council.

The paper work is handled by the Council Registrar, who is also employed by the local Council.

The Charter is printed by her.

It is presented by the Unit Commissioner or a member of the Commissioner Staff, who is selected by the District Commissioner and approved by he local Council Executive Board.

So far it seems to me that everything so far has been done at the local level.

My question is does the National Office of the BSA ever approve a charter?

If so when does this happen?

I do know that the fees involved do go to the National Office.

But is anyone in Texas actively looking at these? Or are they happy to take the word of the local guys?

Eamonn