Question about Pack Committee Positions...

Hi I am new to this forum and also new to my position of Pack Committee

Secretary. Our pack is currently trying to get back in order, our committee chairperson moved away quite suddenly and new people had to take over positions with not much notice or explanation of what their duties are. We also have some touchy people (control freaks and people that are worried that others do not trust them in their position) Well my question is, as pack secretary am I to type up the agenda along with the minutes. With our school's PTA board the secretary's job was to type up the agenda and do the minutes. But our committee chairperson (he is new to the position, just as I am to mine) thinks it is his job. Also I just recently found out that I am supposed to keep the Pack record book and when I asked the treasurer if she could sit with me sometime so we can get the financial info in the book she got a little upset as though she thought I was checking up on her or undermining her. I am just worried that I am supposed to keep a good accurate record in this book in case the council ever wants to see it, and as far as I can tell our pack has never kept a record in this book. Can anyone help me out and explain what all of our duties really are and how we can do them without stepping on anyone's toes. It is starting to get a bit childish and I am getting a bit tired of all of this drama. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

To get yourself started, do the Cub Scout Leader Fast Start Training on-line :

http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/faststart/

That will give you a good overview of the whole Cub Scout program & the Committee's role in it.

Next, sign up at your council for the next available New Leader Essentials Training & Cub Scout Leader Position Specific Training.

Last, go to your Council Scout Shop & purchase a copy of the "Cub Scout Leader Book". It contains detailed job information on the various Committee positions. It also has forms, rules/regs, & many other things that your Committee should know.

I would recommend that the rest of your Packs leaders also do all of the above.

Welcome, PP85! I hope you will have a lot of fun as a volunteer with your pack.

From personal experience: In the units where I have served, the secretary generally did not create the meeting agenda (committee chair usually does this) and did not keep an eye on the financial records (treasurer usually does this). The exact definitions of people's jobs can be flexible in order to reflect individuals' particular skills and interests. And our treasurers have always been happy to show the books to any and all who ask. However, it would not normally be considered the secretary's job to oversee all of this in the units I have served. Depending on what other committee positions you have filled, the secretary *might* be asked to keep records of adult leader training and/or rechartering paperwork, unless you have other people who are already taking care of those items.

I absolutely agree with those who suggest you and the rest of the adult leadership get to training as quickly as possible. That will head off the vast majority of problems and you'll be able to focus on the fun/important stuff like having a great pack program for the boys. If you have a bunch of new adult leaders and there isn't a training coming up soon, contact your district officials and ask them about setting one up ASAP for your unit (and maybe offer to help recruit new leaders from other nearby units to participate too).

Finally - it is rather unlikely that council will ever want to check your pack's records. In the vast majority of cases, council has a pretty hands off approach to individual unit finances and goings on. However, the organization that charters your pack (like a PTO or service club, or church, etc.) may ask to see your records, and parents in the pack certainly have a legitimate interest in knowing how the money gets spent, which leaders have been trained, etc..

Lisa'bob