This is kind of related to the thread:

Expectations from Council - Fending for ourselves.

I really do believe that selecting the right person to do the job that they really want to do is the answer to a lot of our problems.

Back when I was serving as Council Training Chairman, I found a Lady who was a wonderful Cub Scout Leader Trainer. She was /is a great leader, she has a great grasp on the program and really knows all the material. She became the Council Cub Scout Training Chair. Then the person who was the District Commissioner in her District quit and the powers that be managed to get her to take his place. She hates it and is only doing it because there is no one else. Of course we have lost a great Training Chair. It seems like a lose, lose situation to me!

There is an ad on the telly that has a guy saying "We are going to make accounts receivables fun again!" OK I know it's a joke but we have a lot of people out there who all have different talents and different skills, if we spent a little more time matching them up with roles that they feel passionate about, make sure that we give them the tools to get the job done right. I think we would be so much further ahead.

Eamonn.

Maybe not.

But when you think of the time and effort that we at times put into getting people to do things that they really don't want to do and then add the time we put in "Cleaning up" and brow beating someone else who doesn't want the job.

I think it's worth doing right the first time.

Eamonn

This is where the Nominating Committee comes into play.

Most of the time the NC members are going to talk about a number of people before making their list.

When a couple of members from the committee visit the person, they go with a job description. If they are clever they also have a plan "B".

If for example the committee had been working on a new Finance Chair and had gone to the local Banker, but when they spoke with him, he said that after working with numbers all day that the last thing he wanted to do in his free time was anything to do with numbers.But he goes on to say how much he enjoyed camping and going to Philmont when he was a Scout. Plan B would be to ask him to serve on the District Camping Committee.

Eamonn.