Looking Forward, Looking For What To Do Next.

Chatting on the phone to Pam today. Pam is my DE who retired last October. She is now a Member Of The District At Large and works on special events, mostly the golf outing and Dinners that will bring in a few thousand dollars. She was asked to be the Council Activities Chairman, which was a fairly dumb idea, she was always better on the admin side of the things.

She asked me "What are your plans for next year?" My term of 3 years being District Chairman comes to an end this year. I have given it the odd passing thought but have no real plans.

I do sit on the Area Committee and that doesn't seem to come with any term limit. I have been asked to ride with some of the Area Committee Vice Presidents and look in on Council Charter Reviews and presentations. I am and have learned a lot and do see the need for someone doing the job. Still it is not what I think of as "Real Scouting" Sure some of the Council Board Meetings that I have visited have had a few Scouts present to do the opening, but that is about the only time I have seen a Scout.

Our Council will have a new President next year. He seems like a nice fellow. He is an attorney, I don't think that he has any Scouting background. His wife is a judge, she seems like she would do a better job. But we have him. I don't think that I have the connections to ever be the Council President. I know the people in the area where I live but when it comes to people in the two counties that our Council covers I'm not that knowledgeable. We should be seeing a lot of the Vice-Presidents move on next year. While I know that they do a lot of work and get a lot done in Executive Committee, I would sooner see it done at the Executive Board, it just seems more open and above board. Not that anything they are doing is not. To be honest the only two VP positions that I would consider would be either Membership or Program.

Of course no one has as yet made any offers of anything!! Where do outdated District Chairman go? I no longer am on any unit charter. Having spent the last eight years as part of the District Key 3 I feel a bit like a grandparent, kids are fine as long as when I'm done with them I can hand them back.

We have the nicest chap in the world as our Council Commissioner, I wouldn't mind his job when he is done with it. But there are no term limits on his job and he is doing such a good job I sure as heck wouldn't like to see him go.

I think that I'm just not going to think about it!! If nothing comes along I will just get more involved in the Area stuff and maybe someone will ask me to join a unit committee?

Eamonn.