unwanted solicitations

Has anyone else encountered and overzealous DE?

The DE for my Pack always asks for everyones e-mail address at roundtables and tells them that is so she can send all leaders copies of flyers and other important news. This is fine but the problem I have is she also uses them to recruit my leaders to perform functions for my pack.

The latest example is that she called my Bear Leader and asked him if he would be my Pack's Popcorn Kernel. My unit has already designated a person for this. When I confront her about this type of thing she basically gives me the I'm sorry speech and after a while does it again.

Help me!!!!!!!!

CMF

A DE openly communicating with the volunteer leaders on a spontaneous basis. WOW, I wish we had that going on here!

I think its terrific that the DE is talking to the leaders, although she should NOT be attempting to assign tasks within a unit to anyone. In fact I think that the DEs conversation should be limited to District and Council subjects, and should not involve unit issues unless the conversation is taking place with the unit leader or CC. Discussions about unit positions and issues belong within the unit committee & leaders.

Your DE may be new and is still trying to learn how the system works, dont discourage her from talking to the adult leaders, but you should offer a kind reminder that the assignment of jobs and responsibilities within the unit are none of her business.

If it doesn't stop, you can always go to her boss.

Wow, that's an interesting problem. We just held a follow-up planning meeting for the pack, and because we could use the DE's help, as CM I sent him the name and contact info for each person handling popcorn, recruiting, etc. Maybe doing this for your DE will help her to know who to contact. Send that sort of info to her regularly since she uses e-mail, and ask her if she has met some leaders that she would identify as particularly good at certain things. What you've done is two things: shown her that you've got the bases covered *and* shown her that you'd appreciate and welcome her input too.

I've got a little bit different problem with a member of our district committee. This is an older lady who takes the e-mail addresses off e-mails from our DE and uses them to send out junk mail. She is forever sending these sob-story parables, or pleas from some kid with a fatal disease who for some reason thinks tying up the internet with a million spam messages will make them feel beter.

The ones that really grate my nerves are the political causes. We've had a number of them posted here from time to time. Needless to say, she and I don't agree on much. It's not so much her political leanings, it's that she has never taken the time to compose an original thought -- she just forwards whatever junk she receives. Occasionally I've taken the time to compose a response and engage in a real discussion, but have never received anything back from her. I've also asked her point blank to take me off her list. I suppose that would take more time than to click "select all."

Using addresses collected for a legitimate purpose and using them for other causes is at best rude.