Preparing For A New DE

At lunch last week my DE informed me that she is leaving by the end of the year. So far she hasn't informed her bosses. She has only to give them a months notice.

I can't say that I was shocked or surprised. I have known for some time that she wasn't happy with the way she has been treated by the Field Director and the poor management style of the Scout Exec. Apart from what we do in Scouting we are the best of friends. At times this friendship has got in the way but for the most part has been an asset to the District. We have worked very closely for the past seven years, so close in fact that at times we even anticipate each others moves.

We both want her to out with a bang, so Quality District this year is a must. As of now everything is looking good and it seems that it will happen. Still with each thing we do I can't help thinking that this will be the last time we do this.

My term as District Chairman comes to an end late in 2005 and I don't want any extension. Three years is long enough for me. I thought that I had my work cut out for me in bringing the next District Chair. up to speed. I sure as heck don't need to train a new DE. In fact I already feel sorry for whoever they hire. He or she will be trained by the Field Director. Even putting aside the fact that I think that the Field Director is a First Class Twit. He just isn't supporting the new DE's.

We hired a new DE near the end of last year. The poor guy has a District with no District Chair. No District Commissioner and I doubt if there is a District Committee in place. While we have almost met our FOS goal this poor chap has a total of $48.00 in his community campaign. I would think that if I was the Field Director I would be going out into the community and showing this chap how it was done and helping him.Sad to say none of this is happening and I wonder how long it will be before this poor chap feels that he is just getting no place and quits?

Our DE was here before the Field Director and we both discovered together that he is a twit. I think that it would be out of order to have a new DE come on board and have me allow my deep and unfailing prejudice get in his or her way.This guy is a First Class Twit,but he is the immediate Superior to the new DE.

I have thought about stepping down, but feel that I would be putting the new guy in much the same place as the other new guy and while I know that I can be replaced in a heart beat, replacing two members of the key3 at one time might have an impact on the district.

Eamonn

I had a very similar plight a couple years ago as the DC. A rookie DE and I were doing just fine but the FD was, as you say, a twit. It was obvious that my interaction with the FD was harmfull to the the DE's career so I resigned and moved to training coordinator before it affected him, at a time when the District had earned the Quality District recognition two years in a row. Since then the DE has quit, two new ones came on board and we found a new DC who is doing just fine, and we have continued to meet the Quality District status for another two years.

I guess the moral of the story is "life goes on" no one is indispensable. Do what you need to do to keep your morale and sanity, the district will survive. Follow your joy my friend.

Bob