England's green and pleasant land.

AND DID THOSE FEET IN ANCIENT TIMES (JERUSALEM)

(Traditional English / Words: William Blake)

And did those feet in ancient time

Walk upon England's mountains green?

And was the holy Lamb of God

On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine

Shine forth upon those clouded hills?

And was Jerusalem builded here

Among these dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!

Bring me my arrows of desire!

Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!

Bring me my chariot of fire!

I will not cease from mental fight,

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,

Till we have built Jerusalem

In England's green and pleasant land.

If ever you find yourself with way too much time on your hands, you need to go to a Test Match (Cricket) and hear the English supporters sing this.

By the way On Monday 12th September 2005 England won the Ashes for the first time in 18 years, having beaten the Australians 2-1 over the 5-match series and the English women's team also won the Women's Ashes, for the first time in 42 years.

Now if we could only beat New Zealand in rugby the land would be even more pleasant.

Eamonn.

Sorry Eamonn,

I was down under this summer and was able to root for the aussies during the first two tests. I thought they had you guys on the ropes. Alas, I came back and was unable to find the last three tests televised anywhere.

While there I picked-up my first bat, a Gray Nichol's, and a couple of Kookaburra balls. The two boys of the family we stayed with also taught me some skills. I had a blast playing the game and when I gat back home I immediately set to makeing a set of stumps.

Now, if I could only convince the scouts what an absolute blast this game is.

Some people would see this as consorting with the enemy!!

Many years back I went to Lords to watch England play the West Indies. I went with a few Scout parents who were from that part of the world. We had the best time. Right behind us a group that were a steel band were playing.

India and Pakistan take the game very seriously, but the West Indies is just one big party.

Of course the only reason we have the Ashes is because someone got a little upset. - I wonder who that was?? But going down that road might be a sticky wicket.

Eamonn.

"Now, if I could only convince the scouts what an absolute blast this game is. "

The real game the scouts should be playing is Hurling.

Get rid of that bat and those kookaburra balls,pick up a caman and a few sliotars for real manly sport.

My first trip to Europe/England was in my twenties. I flew non-stop from St. Louis to London (Gatwick) in mid January. As we descended to land I was struck by how truly green the United Kingdom looked from the sky - even in January. The Gulf stream really does do wonders from a land that is about as far north as central Canada.