All The News From England Isn't Good.

I have many good friends in the UK, who serve at different levels. From the everyday unit leader to those who serve on the governing body of UK Scouting.

While the changes have shown a slight increase in membership the numbers are still sad. Sad even though the starting age can be as low as five and a half. Sad even though Girls are permitted to join some Troops.

Districts are being eliminated, County lines are being redrawn. Camp sites are being sold off.

I have all the books on the new programs and there is a lot of really good ideas, some of which I would love to see cross the pond. But change just for the sake of change is never a good idea.

I have looked at their new training and the training modules and I am not impressed.

Sure they have a new uniform. But you have to have had tried Scouting in the one it replaced. It just didn't work. Not to mention the very high cost. I don't agree, but I think that it has already been said in these forums that the new one looks too much like a Fast Food Company uniform.

We have also in these forums discussed not only asking the youth members, but also who and which youth ought to be asked.

I don't have any idea what the BSA may have in the works. I do feel whatever it is or isn't will be done in the best interest of and for American youth.

Eamonn

PS. My old District and County will go this year.

One thing I'm happy about the BSA uniform is that it does not have a company logo on it (i.e. Nike "swoosh", Reebok logo, Adidas stripes, etc.)

The Girl Scouts have many different uniform parts which allow the girls some variety in thier uniforms. I like the idea that our troop has black hats and neckerchiefs. I know the goal of a uniform is uniformity, but allowing some sort of customization appeals to the age group we are recruiting.

"he Girl Scouts have many different uniform parts which allow the girls some variety in thier uniforms. I like the idea that our troop has black hats and neckerchiefs. I know the goal of a uniform is uniformity, but allowing some sort of customization appeals to the age group we are recruiting."

Girl Scouts don't really have a uniform. It can't be a uniform if everyone in a unit wears something different.

Eamonn you might be right in all you said. I can only comment on what I observed and was told by the units I visited with. The leaders told me that scouting was dying in England and that they felt some of the changes were bringing them back as some of their unit had tripled in size. I have no stats to support that, but they did seem sincere. As far as expense, everything in London is expensive so is scouting. The scouting uniform and accessories are not cheap in the USA either. I visited a scout shop in England and was amazed at the prices. The unit I spent time with made me an honorary member and presented me with a uniform shirt and hat, it must have cost them dearly. Anyhow it was an enjoyable and informative visit.