Adult Misconduct and termination?

The UPDATE begins!

I spoke with our SE yesterday afternoon. It seems that the individuals who reported all this stuff to me are VERY reluctant to speak with the SE formally and make a written statement against the guy in question.

The SE is reluctant to completely ax him based solely on the info that was relayed to me. But, now that I still have staffing problems with COPE, I, as the COPE Committee Chairman, am going to have to sit down with him and lay it out for him. Basically, I wil tell him what I have been told (but not by who). I am not that interested in hearing his defense, but just to make it understood that this type of behavior will not be tolerated. And should I receive a credible complaint, he is gone with no questions asked.

The SE told me that the guy will not be allowed to be on staff for any COPE event where minors are present. He can work our corporate courses.

So, that is where things stand now. I'm off to prepare my "speech". ;)

OX

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not that interested in hearing his defense, but just to make it understood that this type of behavior will not be tolerated.

I think it would only be fair to at least hear what he has to say. If someone passed along a rumor about me and then proceeded to read me the riot act concerning the alleged bad behavior, I would expect an opportunity to deny, confirm, and/or explain. Otherwise, you're not affording this man due process. You may feel because you (or rather BSA) are not evoking a penalty as a result of these accusations that your lecture is fair play. Partially, I agree I think a lecture is appropriate, but without a formal process, you shouldnt presume guilt. It is possible that the girls are not willing to make a formal accusation (verbal or written) because they may have exaggerated their stories Is it not? I remember 15, 16, and 17 A lot of kids, boys and girls, like to be the center of attention and/or dont like to be on the outside. If one girl says, I was hit on by that guy, theres a good chance that one or two or more girls will say the same, just to share the spotlight and/or to be included. I think if the girls are not willing to tell their stories to the SE, to some degree you have to weigh that fact and devalue the accusation.

All I am saying is Give the lecture, but if there isnt going to be any formal process to obtain the truth, dont act as if the accusations have been confirmed and/or presume guilt. He deserves to be heard. Otherwise, penalty or not, youd be acting like a judge in a kangaroo court. Private organization or not, everyone deserves a fair process.(This message has been edited by Rooster7)(This message has been edited by Rooster7)

Makes me wonder. If they won't make a statement or atleast talk to the SE, how can you accuse him of wrong doing. If you accused me of this and read me the riot act, my first question would be who accused me and where is the statement.

This could open the council up for Law suit for defermantion of character. I can see a lawyer salivating over this one.

With no proof its time for a friendly talk, not reading of the riot act.

And just where the heck is the SE? Why are you the one to have this conversation. I agree with everything Rooster and NLD have written, but they are only scratching the surface of all the potential pitfalls.

Nothing personal Ox, but this needs to be handled by high level council professionals and volunteers who have training or experience or at minimum are well versed by the Council attorney. This is NOT in the job description for a COPE director. I am astounded that you would be allowed to meet with the individual even if you asked to. Maybe you sit quietly while the SE explains things to the guy, but NO WAY should you be delivering this message alone.

I don't know the proper policy or procedure for this type of situation, but I can tell you this ain't it. Personally, I wouldn't touch it.