modification to swimming for handicap?

We have a boy in our troop who is a severe asthmatic and has had heart problems as well - lets call him Joe. As an infant, Joe had a few open heart surgeries - I think he is ok now - except that He is small for his age and not athletic. He doesn't have a great deal of stamina from under developed lungs and chest muscles. Joe has worked on many badges requiring scholastic knowledge but he has trouble with manual dexterity - basketry was really tough for him. However - he's persistant and intellegent - having worked thru the Chemistry, American Heritage and Aviation badges and others. He has started doing Archery through a group here in town, and almost has a black belt in Karate. His mom says he is prone to infections and has allergies - so he doesn't get on alot of campouts - but his Dad has started coming along so he can participate more. I don't know the whole story, but I've become friends with his mom and have found that he is adopted, and that his birth mother had quite a few problems he has inherited. Swimming is VERY difficult for him - the coordination and stamina required. His parents have him in private lessons now, and rather than working on the badge - want him in lessons at camp. This will be the first year ( of 3 with the troop) that he is signed up for a full week of camp. So they are doing whatever possible, within his abilities, to give him as much scouting and other experiences they can.

Problem is -

1st - his mom is afraid that even having him try to take the BSA swim test would overtax his stamina, putting his lungs and heart at risk. she thinks there is no way he can pass the test (and from what I have seen, she is correct - not just overprotective - but I have no medical background, either)

2nd - if he doesn't pass the swim test - he can't get his first class.

3rd - he can't canoe at camp or with the troop - which all his peers - even some who were slow swimmers, have managed to do now. The rest of the troop is planning a couple of day canoe trips - culminating in an overnight river trip.

he and his parents are both trying to get him to stretch his abilities - but they may never stretch as far as our requirements. so what kind of accomodations are acceptable in this kind of situation?

As pointed out in another thread - swimming skills and being able to save yourself from a dumping in a river with a life jacket on are two different things. this boy is no athlete - but on the kind of rivers we are looking at- mostly shallow streams - most you can stand up in and possibly the wisconsin river (no whitewater), and in a lifejacket, I think would be able to get himself upright and to shore. ASIDE from scouting rules - if we could ride him with two adults in a canoe - one being his parent - I would be willing to take him. But we have to deal with scouting rules. While we have plenty of Safety afloat trained adults, we don't have an adult who is a lifeguard and are not likely to get one.

Ok - so my question is, how do we get this boy thru his ranks and give him the same opportunities as the other boys? to try for Eagle if he wishes? - adapted to his abilities? What if he can't get the swimming badge? or parts of it's requirements?

suggestions?

comments?

ps -

I know they can take Swimming OR Hiking OR Biking - but they require more stamina than swimming - and he can't heft a pack or do even 5 miles on a bike - he doesn't have the coordination or the strength.

My son had a difficult time passing the swim test and at one time our Scoutmaster had told me that there options for those who were physically unable to pass the test. Fortunately, he managed to squeak through and I didn't have to apply for an exemption.

In the 2003 copy of the boy Scout Requirements (probably in earlier editions too) on page 13 it gives the alternate requirements and how to get them approved.

#6. whe alternate requirements involve physical activity, they must be approved by a physician.

#8. The written requesst must be approved by the council advancement committee, utilizing the expertise of professional persons involved in Scouting for disabled youth.

Hope this information helps.

Keep in mind the options that can be used for swimming for rank advancement in this case DO NOT qualify for replacement of the swimming requirements in G2SS. Those requirements are for safety and must be meet for the activity in question. As far as the swimming test at summercamp, if he feels that he can not even attempt it then he can take the test for beginner which is easier or be classified as a non-swimmer, and he will a course be only be allowed in the areas that he qualified for.

Swimming stamina is a function of two things: physical fitness and stroke efficiency. If you have less of one, you need more of the other. More lessons, to develop stroke efficiency, is a great idea. The boy can and most likely will, eventually, be able to pass the swim test as written as long as unreasonable expectations about speed are not established, and those around him are just patient with his developing skills. And it will do him good to try, assuming he likes swimming anyway as most boys do and assuming his doctor agrees (which surely he does since he's going for lessons).

Why am I so sure he can accomplish this? Well, it's like this: a few years ago I had a longterm severe illness featuring mind-numbing musculoskeletal pain and extreme fatigue, 24/7, complete with tachycardia and extreme shortness of breath. During the worst of it I took a treadmill stress test which was stopped affter 4 minutes since my heart rate was 200, and I was dizzy - while walking 2.5 miles per hour on a level surface. I could not sit up and hold a conversation as I would lose my breath. My stamina was ZERO - I'd have to shop in a scooter. But during all of this I could still swim every 2 or 3 days (It would take 48 hours to recover from the slightest exertion). It took me FOREVER. Had to modify my stroke, as the pain in my neck and shoulders usually didn't allow enough rotation for a normal forward crawl. Often had to switch strokes to whatever hurt least in mid-lap. On a bad day I'd have to roll on my back for a few gasps. But I could still make it. Yes, it's true that there were a few days when I had to go home with less than 5 laps (in a 25 meter pool). But other days I made 20.

Just be patient. He can do it. It might not be this week or next month but he can do it. If he gets physical therapy, or could get it, the parents could ask the PT to help develop the muscles he'll need.

One other thing that might help, if possible: a WARM pool will help a lot. He'll relax, which means he'll float better, plus he will use up less energy just keeping his little body warm.

I have read the part about 'alternate requirements' being available for First Class - but it is not specific. I can understand why - adjusting the requirements would HAVE to be different for each boy -depending on what exactly handicapped the boy in the first place.

As far as the Swimming/ Hiking/ Biking merit badge is concerned for Eagle - I think you can substitute another equally difficult badge with council approval. It's a shame there isn't a Martial Arts Badge - surprising, actually - I would think it was right in keeping with Scouting.... If there were - we could substitute that.

But I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what might be an appropriate substitution in this case for the advancement requirements? he HAS managed to do all except the swim test - he HAS done the rescue demos, the safety rules, etc.

His family lives on a small Pond/Lake with a small beach, and they have a canoe available to him. I think canoeing would be good for him - in fact, when I was a kid and my older brother had severe asthma - that's how my family got into canoeing - the family Doctor told mom it would help build up his chest muscles.

since my son and this boy are kind of friends at school - they sit together at lunch - His mom has invited us out for some fishing and canoeing. We've also talked about trying some short treks on the bike trails - to build up his strength. As coordination on a bike is a problem - and his mom and I have bad backs - I suggested that we try a short version of a trail where they rent recumbent bikes and recumbent trikes and two seaters. Kinda cool - but less strenuous. I rented one of the recumbents for one of our scout trips and it was REALLY easier on my back! - ALL leg work, and the seat was better for us with "wide loads". LOL!