We just received a new patrol of 5 boys into our troop. It has been quite some time since our troop did it's own JLT and was wondering how other troops do it? I know it should be the senior scouts to teach the younger ones however most of our older boys do not participate or have the time anymore. I would also be interested in going thru the Patrol Leaders Handbook I read it cover to cover I believe the info needs to get to the boys.

Ron,

Sorry I can't help with the training issue, I'm not involved with our Troop JLT. but I did want to comment about the issue you raised with the older guys not particpating.

You'll never be able to do it overnight, but somehow your unit has to make a big effort to change that. It is easy to say that a program that is designed to be interesting to all age tiers is vital. And that is true. If all you do is concentrate on training the young guys to be skillfull older guys who become inactive, you're asking for inactive older guys.

The older guys need to be stimulated. And basic camping and the same old meetings alone won't do it. they have to have something more. For our Troop it was rapelling and kayaking and shooting and hiking the AT. It might be different for your guys. Ask them. But you have to provide them a reason to want to be there.

But even that isn't enough, I don' think. A part of how our Troop defines Scout Spirit is the notion that each Scout OWES to the Troop, and each of the younger guys, the same oppurtunities he got.

This weekend, we have our new Scout campout, where older Scouts will teach tent set up, packing, cooking, woods tools, etc. Without older guys, this effort will fall upon adults. We think this is a huge mistake. We have instilled in our older Scouts the beliefe that they are responsible for the sucess of the guys that come after them. Will all of them be there this weekend? No. Prom is this weekend, and other conflicts do exist. But we will have our SPL there, both Troop Guides, and at least one older Scout for each of the stations the new guys will rotate through. and I think there will be a couple other guys there just to pitch in as required. I've got to admit that most of these guys moaned when reminded about this weekend's campout, but not one who could go said no. And if one had, I can assure you the SPL would have changed his mind!

I think you would do yourself and your Troop a great service if you were to develop a plan to implement a program that makes older guys want to be there, and work to instill a sense of duty to the Troop among these older Scouts.

Good luck to you!

Mark

I may be wrong on this, I do not have all the literature in front of me, but, the SM or his designee, are the folks that "present" the JLT. That said, it is an added benefit to have the senior boys involved. I believe it is set up this way so that the training follows the program and that adults help guide the follow up discussions of each training module.

There is a new version of troop JLT out there (actually it is 2 yr. old) with a video and syllabus.

If you haven't done one in a while, this training stuff is good. (Year after year, though, the boys catch on and try to give "right" answers)

One suggestion, contact the SM or SPL of the council JLT and see if they can offer help or insight.

Another link www.kudu.net (I think it is .net or .org) and look up the Green Bar Patrol. It may be dated, so be aware of that, but the overall tenet presented, in my opinion, is a great way of instituting a boy run troop/patrol

I hear your point the older boy's should be doing the training and that's the way I would like it to happen and I guess part of our problem is that are troop is split between two different city's most of our "senior boys" seem to find themselves unavailable which I understand..in addition these senior boys which are about 5 of them 2 are stagnant on rank and 3 are working on eagle projects and maybe attend 2 meetings a month (this raises a whole other problem) which I have expressed my concerns to the Scoutmaster and Committee Chair about how "active" we do however have a small grp of boys that made Star and 1st Class that I can possibly use.