donations and tax exempt status

BP,

I never said it did. If you were to read my post, I said it created a non-profit organization under state law. By IRS rules, a small non-profit organization (under $5K in receipts) does not need to obtain a tax-exempt status determination letter from the IRS or file an annual return with the IRS. The IRS does not care about such micro-organizations.

What we can agree on is that you should get advice from a professional that is engaged to perform the service (either paid or pro bono) rather than getting into trouble following advice from an anonymous poster on a forum.

(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

Maybe it's their tough luck, but our boys don't know anything about "earning" their way by creating a paperwork rat's nest to get free money. But man, I can't wait for that tri-tip dinner their are putting on next Saturday night!

Maybe it's just me, but the tri-tip dinner method seems a lot more satisfying. Maybe that's why BSA doesn't discuss the "free money" methods in the literature. Maybe those methods just don't do the intended job.

Baden, Semper, and everybody else, thanks again for sharing your experience. I had already advised the pack in question that they should really seek legal help if they wanted to set up their own organization to channel donations but this discussion definitely will cause me to re-iterate that piece of advice to them, just to make sure they "get it."

It is kind of sad though, that here we have a group of dedicated volunteers who got into this to work with the boys, who happen to qualify for some small donations as a result of their volunteer efforts, and now they need to find a lawyer to figure out how to receive the money. Sigh. Can we add this to the list of reasons in the thread about why adults quit???

Lisa'bob

A good old bobwhite too!