Do they know what we are?

its been a few years but just a quick story

A while back I was doing the Citizenship in the Nation Merit Badge and I asked what form of Government the US was. The kids say Democracy and I say, well no, its a Representative Republic (redundant I know)

So, about a week later, I get a phone call from one of the Dads, says his scout was in School and the Social Studies class Teacher says that the US is a democracy and his scout says, Oh no, you are wrong, we live in a Representative Republic and proceeds to explain the differences between a Democracy and a Republic. Must have done a good job, the teacher asks where did he learn all that and he says, Mr GreyEagle form my Boy Scout Troop. The teacher was a little unsettled and then said, well, that is correct, its just a bit more advanced to what is normally taught at this level. Or something close to that

It was one of the kids who I would have sworn was not paying attention. There are odd days in Scouting at times

Funny story:

Back in high school, my English II teacher used to respond to our complaints of classwork or homework with:

"THis is not a democracy..This is a dictatorship and I am the dictator! Failure to comply will result in death by homework!"

Incidentally, that was probably the coolest teacher I ever had!