Not to muddy the waters, but.....What about Youth Protection. Is camp going to allow an adult other than the parent to tag along individually with a scout? We require 2 deep leadership, don't we. Can the parent give authority for this stranger to spend all this time with their son(s) and will BSA accept it?

kwc57,

I thinks it's a moot point. If the Scout & interperter are walking around camp together without another adult they are still "in the presence" of other adults not to mention Scouts.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed,

Yes, until they take a detour thru the woods.

Last weekend we took our Webelos to Camporee with a Troop. All of the competitions were centered in a main part of the camp and all within eye sight of each other, with 100's of scouts and leaders around. While the Patrol Leader was leading the patrol (including the Webelos assigned to their patrol) we were required to have two adults along with them.

These 2 boys cannot talk. They communicate only with sign language. They can make noises, but only to the extent that they can get your attention.I did learn that the older boy does not read or write too well. He is 14. I thought that he was able to until the other night at our scout meeting. As far as the question about the interpreter being alone with the child, that would not be the case. This person would go with the boy and other boys that will be doing the same merit badge or advancement. We do not have a huge camp, so there are only a certain number of things offered at one time. The problem that started this discussion was that the younger boy(who will be crossing over into the troop next month) will be working on such things as advancement to tenderfoot, and the older boy will be mostly working on merit badges.