Check out eBay item #2162594033 "Sponsor a Scout to Summer Camp". Begging for donations to fund their summer camp and Northern Tier trips..."and you don't have to buy popcorn or candy you don't want"!

How many rules does this break? Not to mention eBay rules. No bidders so far as I can tell.

Well, I have to admire the creativity and resourcefulness of the scout. I'm kind of glad to see that there are no bids for him though.

I'd like to meet this boy. What does everyone think. Is he a "slacker" who just didn't want to work for the money? Or is he industrious and not afraid to try new methods for fundraising?

My gut tells me that this boy may have a creative side that could be effectively channelled into other troop activities. He may even have some good fundraiser ideas for his troop. Breaking the rules doesn't always call for discipline. I'm thinking of Sid from "Toy Story." He's the one who mutilated his toys. While there are ethical problems with that if the toys are alive, I have to admive Sid's engineering capabilities and creativity. He just had a different imagination than Andy.

I'm not sure what to think about this. There are some parents who refuse to assist with or allow their kids to do fundraising because they see it as too much of a hassle. We had parents on my son's baseball team who flatly refused to do fundraisers and instead would ask how much to write a check for.

I don't think asking for money on E-bay is a good way for this kid to go....if it is legit. One of the problems with fundraisers is that the number of events goes up with each thing your child is involved in. If they play sports, go to school and are in scouts, they will be doing at least 3 fundraisers a year, sometimes more. Friends and relatives get tapped out and some even start to avoid you. Our scout popcorn fundraiser came immediately on the heels of my son's school fundraiser. We were not about to ask the same people to fork over more cash after buying items at inflated prices. Fortunately, he was able to go around the neighborhood and sell almost $300 in popcorn. Of course, we ended up buying some ourselves and buying the popcorn of the people who never seemed to be home or return our calls after ordering.

We do the fundraisers because it teaches our son some good lessons and values. But we arefinacially able to pay for his activities and their are times that I would like to just write a check and be done with it myself. I realize that not everyone can do that though.

Actually that appeal if genuine is a violation of the BSA fundraising regulations which require that a service or product be exchanged for the money. Units are not to ask for cash donations using the scouting name, or trademark emblems.

If not a genuine appeal it is fraud.

The District and Council Executives have been made aware of the e-bay posting and they are investigating the situation.

Bob White

I did see this on e-Bay, and wasn't upset that there were no takers.

I happened to mention it to some of the adults in my district, a few of them thought it was a hoax, some thought it was funny and a couple thought it was outrageous.

When I mentioned it wasn't a lot different then what some of the packs do, when they go out to the local merchants asking for door prizes for the Blue and Gold Banquet. There was no reply.

I think that I hit a nerve.

Eamonn,

I think there is a difference. We don't give door prizes at Blue & Gold. But if a CM or other trained and uniformed leader and/or boys go to a business and ask for a donation, I don't see a problem with that. The business man knows who and what he is donating to and that it is a worthy organization and cause and free advertising for him. A win-win situation for the pack and the business.

Begging money on E-Bay sight unseen is a totally different story. There is no way for you to verify that this isn't some 58 year old bum sitting at a terminal in his underwear, drinking beer and trying to dupe people into giving him money with a convincing sounding story.

About the issue of donations vs selling.

kwc57,

I understand the motives some parents have for simply writing a check instead of pushing their son to sell. While fundraising is a great responsibility for a youth and an excellent lesson, the product can often be looked at critically.

I know many parents who would feel bad to have their son peddling some low-grade product to their friends and neighbors. These people are then almost obligated to buy. Our troop sold Christmas wreaths for years, but the quality was so low and the price was so expensive that some parents finally just donated to the troop instead of forcing friends to pay.

Another great thing about donations is that all the money can then go directly to the troop instead of having to pay some price for the product.

Unfortunately, fundraisers often involve the cheapest product at the highest price. Then the sale is made through guilt and friendship. If family friends and relatives want to support scouting, a donation is often more helpful (and more tax deductable).

Actually there is a problem with a local leader or youth member going to a business or individual soliciting a cash donation. It is a violation of BSA fundraising policy and a trademark infringement.

The BSA requires that a unit exchange a like quality service or merchandise in exchange for money. To use the name and emblems of the BSA to solicite funds is illegal. The organization name and emblems are property of the BSA not the units or members, and cannot be used for such a purpose. Only the council and national, which are the legal entities of the BSA have the authority to solicite on behalf of the entire program through Friends of Scouting, endowments and corporate donations.

You can sell stuff (popcorn, Christmas wreaths, pancake breakfast, etc.) and do things for people (car washes and such).

You CANNOT; beg, bowl-a-thon or anything-a-thon, raffle, sell commercial products other than Boy Scout Popcorn, while using the name or emblems of the BSA during the promotion, implementation of, or collection of funds, in an unauthorized activity.

Let's be careful out there, you are representing all of scouting not just the unit you serve.

Bob White

Bob White,

I agree with you. Anything dealing with money is a slippery slope. However, I slightly cringe at the mention of the word, "Fundraiser." I completely understand why some parents would rather not have their sons ask people to buy from them. Money is an amazing way to ruin friendships. It's a difficult position because many of the purchases made during fundraisers are out of guilt and the purchased good is not wanted by the buyer. Naturally there are exceptions as I love Girl Scout cookies. But I don't believe that BSA stands for "Boys Sell Anything."

I think it's perfectly understandable for a parent to donate money to their troop instead of pushing their son to sell products. I also understand why some parents may not want their son to be out selling.

I'm not saying that boys should go out "begging" as you termed it. I just want people to understand that there are reasons against selling as a fundraiser.

Whatever-a-thons are not allowed according to the fundraising policies of the BSA because they do not return a product or service. If you have scouts healthy enough to play all day to raise money, then you have scouts able to work to raise money. You may may not like selling product to raise funds and that's certainly your choice, but unless you want to just do work projects for money you are out of luck. The BSA does not allow you to beg for cash donations using their name or symbols. In addition to beg for only your unit is not beneficial to the growth of scouting in your community. When national and councils appeal to the community for cash it goeas to benefit all the scout units in the community.

BW

"The BSA requires that a unit exchange a like quality service or merchandise in exchange for money." Boy Scout popcorn? BW, wouldn't want to touch that one with a ten-foot pole; though not disagreeing with what you have stated regarding fundraising.

Millions of customers have no problem with Boy Scout Popcorn Eagle74, why do you? It is a quality product, it has reusable canisters, and people buying it knowing full well that the scouting program benefits from the product. Do you have a problem with Girl Scout cookies? Bought any bottled water lately? Talk about a huge markup! It is no coincidence that Evian is naive spelled backwards. Did you know that most furniture has a 400% mark-up.

Scouting popcorn is what funds the entire annual program for most units. The scouts work for their prizes and money, and the public gets a quality product. I see nothing wrong here.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Evian is naive spelled backwards! That's great! The things that I never noticed in life.

Anyway Bob White, once again you misrepresent my post in order to prove your point. I don't appreciate that. As I stated in my post, I don't agree with "begging" others for donations. I think it's wrong to have a boy go door-to-door and ask for money. That's why I'm also reluctant to endorse fundraising in general. It's very similar except that the buyer has less of an option on what to give to scouting because the product has a fixed price. The troop also only receives a portion of the money because it naturally has to cover expenses.

If a parent doesn't want to impose on family and friends to buy popcorn, then I see nothing wrong with that parent simply making a donation themselves. Anyway, I already wrote all this and it doesn't need repeating.

About the popcorn, I also think it's a cheap product to peddle. I appreciate that many people like it and the container. I'm in no position to tell them what to think. My personal opinion is that a better product could represent scouting than popcorn. Especially since popcorn is as notorious as french (sorry, "Freedom") fries as being a product that's overpriced considering how cheap it is.

By the way, Thin Mints are some of the greatest cookies ever.

Thanks Bob White.

KWC57, you do have a good point about not knowing who the seller on e-bay is/was.

There is another seller on e-Bay who is selling 2001 Jamboree Cookbooks, to raise money for the next jamboree. I never thought that he might be the "58 year old.."

Looking over the Threads, I think that my saying that the Family Friends Of Scouting, is not the high light of most units program, is a fair statement. But we all are aware that the money is needed and has to come from somewhere.

My district has a very strong community campaign,where we get donations for the council.

We hold a golf outing for the local business community, and this year for the first time will hold a District Good Deed Dinner, as well as the Council Dinners.None of these activities are cheap. A table at the council dinner goes for $1200.00. A foursome for the Golf outing costs $500.00. There are other "Big Ticket" events through the year, all to raise the money that helps provide the programs and services for our end users, The Youth.

Life gets really hard, when the local Business community, is being hit time and time again, by units asking for donations, and then again by the council.

We have had cases where someone used to donate to the council FOS,at a sizeable amount. Then was asked to donate a door prize. The unit got the door prize/donation. All the youth in the council lost out on the sizable donation.