Not really issues or politics but it wouldn't fit anywhere elese.

I was watching some sort of new/interview show last night. The guest was a a doctor who is some sort of expert on public health issues.

At one point she announced, "Men have a greater risk of getting prostate cancer." I waited for the "than tooth decay" or "than women getting hangnails." Something. Nope that was it.

So let's look at that statement: "men have a greater risk of getting prostate cancer." "Greater" implies a comparision to something. Compaired to what? Non-men? That's women for the most part. "Men have a greater risk of getting prostate cancer than women." Duh! I figured that out without going to med school.

Gonna have to agree with you Gold Winger,

I too am really getting disgusted with the way ALL "news" is turning into infotainment, with less and less emphasis on the info part.

I know this isn't exactly what you are talking about, but it is all in the same bowl of wax if you ask me. My local 12:00 news (Big Metro area)has a couple top stories, you know scandle, house fires that kind of thing, does the sports and weather, and then usually does at least 5 minutes (out of 30)on a 'segment' that they try to make look like news, but is usually just a big advertisement for some business. It may be a grocery store doing "Super Bowl cooking", which is irritating at the least. Last week though, there was going to be on the 5 o'clock news a story about children and bed wetting. I waited all day for it, and even Tivo'd the darn thing so I wouldn't miss it. Did they acctually have a revolutionary story on bed wetting? Did they cover tips or advice, or even cause? The answer is no. They featured a local family who went to a local "anurisis" treatment center and after 6 months the child's bed wetting is done. Well if I could just plop down the cash for an anurisis center, don't you think I might have done that by now, and not been waiting to see what the NEWS was going to INFORM me of?

The lack of usable information in our society is frightening!

The News Hours with Jim Lehrer on PBS is good. He takes a story that gets 15 or 30 sec on the "popular" news and gives a 6-8 minute report that explores various angles. No ads either. NPR radio is another, presents a report 10 times as long as anybody else.