Hi, Nate again. I'm trying to get my patrol leaders to hold their patrol meetings that are outside of the regular scout meetings. I want them to do patrol activities so they can can the national patrol award, and such.

I guess what I really want in trying this is for each patrol to become more of a team. But the patrol leaders are a bit on the "lazy-side" and really don't want to get involved in this.

Do any of you suggest some type of competition? After all, both patrol leaders are brothers, so competition can get feirce, hehe. I need some type of motivation for these boys, because I'd really like to see more patrol activity.

Anyway, if I can have your thoughts, that'd be great!

Take care,

-Eagle Nate

That seems to be a tough thing to do now days Nate. It used to be very common for patrol members to all be in one neighborhood but that's not the case as much anymore. Check out the SPL handbook you will see that the suggested method is for patrol meeting time at every Troop meeting, about 20 minutes. Some patrols may develop their own meetings away from the troop, bit until then try following the agenda suggested in the SPL handbook.

Bob White

Nate;

Our troop uses a "Patrol of the Month" competition, with the criteria taken directly from the National Patrol Award criteria. We give points for uniform inspection results, meeting/activity attendance, service projects, patrol meetings, patrol record books up to date, advancement, and so on. You can set up the points any way you want. The key is that an ongoing competition gets your patrols focused on the criteria and working towards it.

Good Luck.

KS

We use a specially-made patrol flag streamer that moves each month to whichever patrol is the POM. Also, I have a board hanging in our Scout hut on which we list, by month, the POM.

I'm not averse to giving them more incentives, such as no post-meeting cleanup during their month, or extra cocoa rations, or some such nonsense, but I usually leave that stuff to the PLC, and they're comfortable with it the way it is. We have our PLC on Wednesday; maybe I'll ask the SPL to bring it up...

KS

Wow, that's a great idea! First we're getting the patrols to make their patrol flags. We split from another troop, so we're starting new, and need to make flags. Than I can make a streamer which is kind of an immunity towards cleanup and such. Cool, thanks alot KS.

Take care,

-Eagle Nate