Necessary bylaws

This is sort of an aside, but it occurred to me that there are few bylaws that are made necessary by BSA's approach. Thus, for example, if a CO decides that membership in a unit will be limited to co-religionists, or that there will be only male leaders, or that a Venturing Crew will not be co-ed, they need to state that in some kind of rule (even if it's not written down). No camping on certain days of the week might be similar. While approved by BSA, these things are deviations (or at least variations) from the "default" BSA program.

I am not up to speed on what a CO can and can't do. At this time all the units in our District don't impose any special requirements.

I can't help thinking many of the rules that an organization might have are already part of what that organization does anyway.

When I was Cubmaster of a pack chartered by a Catholic church, ensuring that the opportunity to attend Mass when the Pack went away for the weekend was just a given.

A friend of mine was the course director for a Wood Badge course and a group of Orthodox Jewish Scouter's, in fact an entire patrol signed up for the course. They knew what they needed to do to fulfill their religious obligations, the Staff on the course did everything they could to help and support them in doing so, but the course itself didn't change.

Eamonn.