Conflicting leadership positions

I didn't know where to post this, so I guess this forum is a safe enough to post it...

I know of a troop whose rather strict scoutmaster isn't very well liked among the troop, both by the boys in the troop and by the adult leaders. Though he hasn't done anything to get himself in trouble (anything against BSA policy), nobody really wants him to retain his position of scoutmaster. The Charter Organization Rep. is probably the only one most opposed to him being scoutmaster, and the COR also realizes that he is in a high enough position that he can do something about the "renegade" scoutmaster. The only problem with this is that the scoutmaster is actually the president of the charter organization, and if the COR chooses to speak out against the scoutmaster, the scoutmaster will use his power as the president of the chartered organization to remove the COR from the troop.

Is there anything that can be done about this???!!

Wow!!

I should stop right there.

I know that this can happen. Our District Commissioner is President of a Lions Club that charters 3 units.

You might try getting someone that the SM respects to talk to him and explain the error of his ways?

Sad to say the only other thing that I can think of is to pack your bags and see about starting a new Troop or moving to another one.

If you can find an organization in your area that is willing to be the chartering organization, I strongly urge you to get as many people trained as you can before you "Open Shop" and recruit any Scouts. Making sure that everyone knows what they are letting themselves in for, before you start does help avoid some of the problems that can pop up.

Sad to say very often when a unit splits only one half makes it. At times there can be ill feelings, to make matters worse this can spill over to the youth members. Whatever happens we need to remember that we are Scouts.

Eamonn

Then I would tell the Disrict commisioner or th District executive that the troop is having some difficulties and they might want to lok into it. Then drop it. It is not your job to insert yourself into this problem. You have a troop you are responsible for serving and should not get involved in other troop's affairs, or allow others to give you a burden that you have no control in or authority over.