Help quick please; Webelos Athelete badge requirements

I need the help of this forum to understand a situation as soon as possible. I know you are up to it. If I had the Cub Scout Academics and Sports Program Guide I could probably answer this one myself.

I turned in a list of items my son earned to the advancement coordinator. She emailed me back questioning one of them. I told her that son had earned the Webelos Athlete badge and consequently the Cub Scouts Sports pin for physical fitness, as earning this pin is requirement number 2 on as shown on page 63.

We reviewed the information about the pin on page 46 of the book, then went to the store and transcribed the requirements of the pin on paper, then went home and did them. Seemed find and dandy until this morning. The advancement coordinator informed me that in order to earn a pin, one must first earn a beltloop. This generally sounds correct too bad they couldnt have mentioned this in the Webelos book.

My question. Because requirement number two for the Athlete badge says you must EARN the pin (as opposed to just saying you must do the requirements for the pin, in which case you could complete the badge requirements without being awarded the pin) does this mean we now must go back and earn the beltloop? OR, is there an obscure exception printed somewhere that says this is the only pin that does not require a beltloop to be earned first? OR, are the requirements for the beltloop met while earning the pin because the pin work is so much more detailed? Yes, we are looking for a beltloop-hole.

I will appreciate your help on this matter. I am trying to resolve this prior to the cut off for awards this month.

Part of earning any Academic or Sports pin is "earn the belt loop".

REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PHYSICAL FITNESS SPORTS BELT LOOP

Complete these three requirements:

1. Give a short report to your den or family on the dangers of drugs and alcohol.

2. Practice finding your pulse and counting your heartbeats per minute. Determine your target heart rate.

3. Practice five physical fitness skills regularly. Improve performance in each skill over a month. Skills could include pull-ups, curl-ups, the standing long jump, the 50-yard dash, and the softball throw.

You can find more about the belt loops and pins at:

http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/home.html

I believe I'm correct that the requirements for all S&A pins all begin, "Earn the beltloop then....." so yes, earning the beltloop is part of the requirements for earning th pin. That said, if you've earned the pin, the beltloop should be a short putt.

I really didn't follow all the objections raised by the advancement chairman in your original post. But if she is saying that you have to have previously received the beltloop, then the S&A pin, before earning the WAP, I don't think that is correct. I don't know that I've seen this specific squence addressed, but in other parts of Cub Scouting it is fairly well established that you can work on and earn badges concurrently -- Wolf/Bear badges and arrow points, for example. Your can't an arrow point prior to the rank, but you may do the work and receive the aroow points concurrently. Many of our boys will receive an arrow point or two at the same time the receive their rank badge.

Boy, talk about coincidence! I was just thinking of starting a thread on this same subject. Most of our Webelo 1's earned their Athletic pin back in early October. Our Cub Master informed us at our den meeting last week that he believed we had to get the belt loop as part of the requirements. It was a good catch on his part as all of us missed it. I think perhaps they need to S P E L L it out a little clearer if that many people read the requirements and didn't understand it. We are going to let the boys keep their pins and work on getting the belt loop to make it official.

I think if they printed the belt loop & pins requirements in the Webelos book, then you get into that issue of the Webelos book doesn't match the latest Academics & Sports Book.

The latest Webelos book came out in 1998. The Academics and Sports was updated in 2002, with some changes to the requirements for belt loops & pins. So which do you use?

Know what I mean?

So your point is that the right hand would need to know what the left hand is doing? Well now that you put it that way, I see where National may have a problem...... :)

While I've not done a point-by-point comparison of the new and old S&A requirement, I believe they added some new subjects, but that the requirements for the existing subjects remained the same.