IOLS Mentor .vs. Test-out? Is it different?

Ok.. I am a training chair in a council where Test-out is out-lawed.. (I don't want to go there).

But in the original thread the Training News article goes into the test-out, and how some councils were against it.. Then later in the article talks about one-on-one mentoring..

There is also discussion about a test out or opt out option for leaders.

There are some concerns about the potential safety issues that come with lesser training, the lack of a connection to other Scouters, the importance of the patrol method, etc. On the other side there are those that say this can be very effective, or that some training is better than none.

We are working on a formal, mentored, test-out option for districts and councils training teams to use, and we are monitoring councils that are already doing the test-out....

... However, if a course is not available, tenured Scouters that can demonstrate all the basic outdoor camping skills for the Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks may not need to take the full course. They should contact their district training chair and schedule a one-on-one mentoring session with a member of the training team.

Many tenured leaders probably own the skills and should be able to adequately explain how to demonstrate each one to a member of the training team. The training team mentor should coach the individual through areas where additional help might be needed. Upon completion, the training team member should report the completion of training to the council office.

Sounds very similar to test-out, but under a different name..? What say you?.. So, if I start up this one-on-one mentoring session (which is not out-lawed by my council) do you think I will get my hand slapped??

How would you see the one-on-one mentoring as being different then the test-out? How would you set up a one-on-one mentoring? They had a checklist for the test-out, but except for demonstrate all the basic outdoor camping skills for the Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class ranks there isn't much of a description on how to conduct this.

I know there are a few that would love to do the test-out.. Just wondering if I could get a few through the mentoring especially two I personally know who just don't have time for the course(one is a firemen with weekend duty, one is just way to involved (in scouting things mostly) that scheduling just prevents it..)..

back int he day I was taught there are 3 ways to conduct training.

1) Formal Classes, i.e. SM Specific class or an IOLS class.

2) Self Study, i.e. reading the material and taking a test. This is best seen with internet training now.

3) MENTORING (caps for emphasis),i.e. working with someone on a one to one basis.

I remember taking the Explorer Leader Basic Training Self Study course to become a trained Explorer leader. Basically I was given the syllabus to read and learn. Instead of a written test, I had a "mentoring" session with the Exploring Executive to make sure I knew what I needed to know.

Whoever thought of calling a "test out" a "mentoring session" is a genius. One thing that the national training committee did right with the update if you ask me.