Old Explorer Basic Training Course

Ok stupid question, but here it goes. Back in the Dark Ages, I did Explorer Basic Leader Training, again before Venturing split off. I was around when and a member of both a Post turned Crew and Ship when the change occurred, and was told then that I was considered trained Venturing leader as the EBLT was still valid.

As we know, there was a lot of misinformation at that time, with the best example being the term VENTURE CREWS instead of VENTURING CREWS,(I still hear that one from senior pros), due ot the fact that the program appeared very hastily brought out.

So the question is this: If I become re-affiliated with a crew, would I be considered trained still or would I have to go through that training again? I ask because of the talk of mandatory training coming down the road. Thanks in advance

AFAIK, you would not be considered a basic trained Venturing leader as you don't have all the requisit training, which now comprises:

* Venturing Fast Start

* This is Scouting

* Venturing YPT

* Venturing Leader Specific Training.

While Venturing is largely Exploring, the programs are not 100% the same. I have a copy of the old pre-1998 Explorer Basic Leader Training syllabus. The VBLT (aka VLST) was based on it, but had additional content, such as the segment on advancement. Since the split, new changes have occured in Venturing (6 experience areas out, new stuff like the awards and new programs).

So you do need to take all the training to be considered trained. I don't think there was any policy of 'grandfathering' in those who took the prior EBLT.

It wouldn't take a lot of time. 3 of the above can be done on-line and fairly quickly. VLST is 5 hours. Me, I took it years ago just to do it, even tho I probably knew more then the guy presenting it (and I've presented it about a dozen times since).

Emb,

Thanks a bunch. I've done the online stuff already and am familiar with the recognition system, heck it was one of the selling points for the few crews I started 11 years ago. Just wanted to know for sure.

My spin:

So that I know what new volunteers are learning, I now and then re-take the basics.

You never know what you'll learn next ;)

( I still love the time I was at Commish College and the gal teaching G2SS said "All Venturers must have annual Class III physicals, because all Venturers participate in High Adventure activities )

Understood. I do keep up with the current info, heck I break out the info sometimes before other know about new stuff ;) I also believe in refreshers, but at this time there will be no course locally as we have no venturing trainers, and only 1 active crew, with 2 trained folks. First there was talk about me being a venturing RT commissioner, or whaterver they call it now, now there is talk about getting me on the crew committee.