I'm heading back to Philmont this summer for a course at the Training Center. It's been 36 years since I was last there as a Scout so I'm sure it's changed a lot. Plus, I'm guessing that PTC isn't part of Base Camp so it's probably located down the road or on another part of the ranch. I've reviewed the PTC website and equipment list so I'm up to speed with those but I still have a few questions.

My wife and son will be attending also and I was told by my DE that there would be things for the both of them to do while I was in class. If any of you have experience with the spouse and kids programs I would like to get some feedback regarding them.

It says on the website that Scouts and Scouters need to wear their uniforms but how about my son? Should he wear his Class A while he's involved in group activities, or out playing with other kids his age during the day? He only has one Class A and I really don't want to wash it every night if I don't have to.

Also, I was told that there is one day (Wednesday?) that is a free day to spend with the family. Can Scouters and their families visit the Scout (trek) side of the ranch. I would like to get my new hiking boots branded like I did with my old ones when I was there as a Scout. Or perhaps you can get that done at the Training Center if you're attending classes?

Next, sleeping arrangements - I understand that we will have a wall tent with both cots and mattresses. Questions - are these army size cots or are they the larger twin size camp cots? Also, we have Cabela mattresses that we use on camp cots in Alaska and I was wondering if we can use these instead of their mattresses? They also said that they would put another cot in our tent for our son to sleep on. How much does that cut down on the space availability inside? Also, would a mattress fit onto his cot or does it come with one. Is it the same size cot as the ones that are already in the tent?

It mentions on their website to bring a mat for the tent floor - any recommendations as to size? Is there anything that you would bring that's not on the list? Also, how far is the parking lot where our vehicle will be from where the tents are? The same with the laundry, bathrooms, etc. I told my wife that there would be shower facilities available but she wants to know how long the line/wait is to use them. Is it best to go early in the morning or late at night? Some of the camps we've gone to limit the times you can use them, or have no hot water after the first person uses it. If that's the case then she'll be in there at 4 AM just to make sure. When we go camping our boy wouldn't mind going all week without a shower if we'd let him. Momma just doesn't understand that - say's it must be a "guy thing".

Any other suggestions or feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PTC is a great experience. We took our two sons both times - because there were four of us, we had two tents, but I saw other families where a young child shared w/ mom & dad.

On to your questions:

The spouse/child programs are excellent my hubby had a great time - museum trips, COPE, horseback riding, hikes. The kid programs are sort of like day camp - crafts, shooting sports, pony rides, hikes. You'll get him back at lunch. How old is your son? If he's a Webelos, there is an overnight away from camp (with a parent) that's a great experience.

>

You can visit Base camp, and a trip to the Tooth of Time Traders is obligatory :-). The snack bar is a treat would be a treat. One night is Western night, where the menu includes Buffalo (raised on the ranch) - they have branding, and you can have your boots, belt, etc. done. They sell items at the Crafts facility or at the trading post, which are suitable for branding as well.

The beds are larger - a full twin size bed. Mattress are standard Scout camp issue - about 3" thick. Unless you think that's not thick enough, I wouldn't haul the other matresses. What I remember is that they shoe-horn in a third bed - not a camping cot. It' basically wall to wall beds - very tight.

3'x5' or 4'x6' for the rug. Shower facilities are generous - I never really had to wait, but I showered at night, not in the a.m.- it may be different. Distances from parking to tents/showers/headquarters cabin aren't huge - 1 to 5 minutes walk

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-TaggNQDaZI/SE86fXpoVQI/AAAAAAAACNs/SPpOt6SZcmM/IMG_3054.JPG

you're in the mountains - it gets COLD at night - heavy sleeping bags or extra blankets are not out of order. On the other hand, during the day it can be quite hot. A small fan for the tent isn't a bad idea. Camping chairs for sitting outside the tents are nice (but not essential).

How are you traveling? That would govern what else I could tip you about. PM me for more.

Back in 2000 we drove from SW-PA to Philmont.

OJ was still a Webelos Scout

HWMBO - Is very shy, not a person who mixes well and doesn't like to camp.

Me? I talk to anyone and everyone and have a great time no matter where I am.

The car park is very close to the tents.

The tents are set up in what must have once been an apple orchard.

If like one Forum Member you see deer as rats with antlers. You will have a problem.

The tents are a fair size. Don't try and sleep 3 in the tent they aren't that big.

They do have limited electric, maybe enough for a small fan.

We had a slight problem with a group of real loud children who lacked any sort of parental control.

OJ didn't wear his uniform every day. Some of the kids who attend are not in Scouts.

The food is OK. Not great, but you would need to be real picky to go hungry.

Bring twice as much money as you think your going to spend in the Trading Post.

HWMBO did attend some of the planned events off site, but was happy to read a book or do some of the crafts on site.

OJ had a great time, he and a Lad from Mexico became pals and still "talk to each other " on line. I think via face-book??

OJ did go with a group overnight to to the Tooth of Time.

I'm not sure but I don't think adults who are not signed up for the trek are allowed to just do their own thing. You might want to check.

The showers first thing in the morning do get very crowded. I took my shower at night and just shaved and brushed my teeth in the AM.

Everyone is very friendly. Even HWMBO made a few friends who we exchange Christmas cards with still.

I had a great time.

We did the trip in a small car (Mercedes C) If I was ever to drive out there again with 3 of us I'd like a bigger car.

HWMBO said it was OK but she doesn't ever want to do it again.

We went in August and there were days when it wasn't very warm and the nights were down right chilly.

The day off is nice, but it's a good idea to plan what you want to do before you go.

There is no point getting there early on the Sunday, nothing happens early.

The Hotel in Cimarron that we stayed at was not very nice, the food wasn't very good and the service was just plain bad.

We arrived a day early and it really was a wasted day.

I took the Delivering Commissioner Service course.

The guys who presented the course were from Erie PA. About 70 miles from where I live.

We had a great time and drove home going to the Grand Canyon through the Painted Dessert and the Petrified Forest.

Some of the people we met had come by train and were renting a RV for a week or two after the conference. But gas was only about $2.00 a gal back then

Eamonn.

When I was there last summer, virtually none of the kids had uniform on during the day, but some wore them to dinner, chapel, etc.

Just from my experience, do not go in thinking that it is some super secret training that is only available at Philmont. I was in the unit commissioner course, the instructors were great, the SE, council commissioner, and a council VP from Louisville KY, but, the material was stuff that I already had before. I got more out of the brainstorming sessions, seeing how things are done in different parts of the county. The best part of my course was the director of support services from national coming into our class and having a 30 minute session with him.

Count on coming back with way more than you brought, so plan your luggage accordingly if you are flying, maybe a duffel bag that can be stuffed into your luggage on the way out.

On our day off, our first stop was Capulin Volcano National Monument. Then we head back to Philmont to pick something up we forgot, and the we went to the Taos Pueblo. And finally down to Bandelier National Monument. Here is a Google map if you are interested, http://tinyurl.com/o7vswu We left before 8 that morning and did not get back until 11:30, so we got the most out of our day.

The hot water was limited, I had one cold shower and my wife had a couple, we showered in the AM though. During my week it was actually better to take a shower right before breakfast, everyone was out and the water had time to get hot again.

Our tent was literally 50 feet from the car, some were closer some were further, but not much.

On this map, http://tinyurl.com/otjuoq "A" is on the road in front of the Villa Philmonte and PTC, "B" is in front of Base Camp, it is an easy walk.

My wife is not a camping person, and had only camped twice before, let me know if we went last year, that I have to take her to the beach this year. She had so much fun, she asked me when we are going back.

(This message has been edited by click23)

Hello Lodge 489,

One thing I would suggest that you and your son consider. If he is a somewhat older Scout, he might consider participating in NAYLE (National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience.) It is designed to run concurrent with a PTC course so that he would leave for about the time you get in and then be returned to you on Friday. IT's a great experience. He would need approval from your local council.

Check it out

http://www.nayle.org/

http://www.scouting.org/BoyScouts/Resources/NAYLE.aspx

Neil,

I'm actually rather down on NAYLE right now, after the sterling (not) example of the class held last summer during Relationships Week. On Friday night, as you know, PTC has its closing "campfire" and then folks scatter to bed for early departures Saturday.

I was living in South Tent City.

In comes NAYLE class at 930, marching in to cadence. Ok, it's not lights out and quiet hours yet.

Well, 10PM and Taps does come, and the youth, now bedded down at the Buster Brown Building, wouldn't shut up. I had to go over after 1030 and ask for a youth leader or adult ... I had planned to be on the road by 7 (500 mile day 1 enroute home), and I wanted some sleep.

Well, comes Saturday morning, and the children (term used malice aforethought) are up and shouting at 445 AM. Quiet hours in tent city are until 7 IIRC.

If that's the example NAYLE youth participants, youth staff, and program staff have of their program, they can stay out at their camp until Saturday morning for all I care. A Scout is Courteous? Not them.

Ken,

Where I was assigned is where PTC assigned me. No control over that.

There's a difference between enthusiasm and being jerks. Many of the NAYLE participants had come in independent of PTC participation. They were jerks, thoughtless and downright rude.