Training quandry, would appreciate some advice

"Eamonn - How long a drive was it?"

I'm not Eamonn but driving there from Martinsburg, especially with family, would take the better part of a week, a vacation unto itself. However, that could be an enjoyable trip, especially if you got off of the interstates and drove through small town America.

Of course, if you have two 20 year olds as drivers, you could make it in a day and a half. :-)

My thoughts exactly GW. For the record there aren't any 20 something drivers in this family anymore. It's 6 years to the next drivers permit and 3 after that for the last!

YiS,

John

Assistant Cubmaster

Pack 13

Shenandoah Area Council

From where I live it was just over 1,500 miles.

From Martinsburg, WV Mapquest gives the Distance as: 1694.97 miles and 26 hours and 56 minutes.

We had two drivers, HWMBO and myself.

We left home on Friday night and drove through the night staying mostly on I-70.

We did overdo it a bit that first day, not stopping until we reached Oklahoma. After that we kinda put the Trip-ticket that we got from AAA to one side and did our own thing.

We arrived in Cimarron at lunch time the day before the conference was to start. Something I wouldn't do again! The hotel in Cimarron leaves a lot to be desired and getting to Philmont early on the Sunday has no real benefit.

I know some people think the world of Cimarron,but nice as it is you can walk around the entire town in less than 30 minutes.

We left Philmont after breakfast on Saturday and spent the next week doing our own thing.

With gas being what it is? Maybe it would be cheaper to fly and rent a car? We did the trip in a car that was maybe a little to small (1997 Mercedes-Benz C-Class)But We took a lot more stuff than we really needed.

One couple flew in and when the conference was done rented a RV for a week.

At the time we went I was self-employed, most of our family vacations had been spent going home to visit my family in England. Which meant spending a lot of time drinking tea!! Not much fun!! Of course at night we found places that served something other than tea.

This year I'm thinking of driving out to California or should I say HWMBO is thinking that we will drive out to California. Sad thing is that since she became ill she isn't able to drive. I don't mind driving,in fact I really enjoy it, but she isn't the best co-pilot.

Ea.

Eamonn.