Wood lore = Wood Badge Tarining?

Our scoumaster shuns all that is wood badge. When I state that the trainig was invaluable he says he went to it when it was called wood lore. He is about 48-50 years old and I believe he went either as a senior patrol leader or as a junior assistant scout master. He certainly has not gone to any "wood" training in the last 20 years.

Can you help me on what he went to? He claims that they are essentially the same thing.

Hi ItsMe

The Woodbadge of 20 years ago is not the same Woodbadge that is presented today. I cant speak to what WoodLore is, I have no experience with it.

I can only speak to what Woodbadge is today, a great training opportunity for adult leaders in the program. There is a lot of good information that you can take back and apply to your troop. I believe that missing this opportunity to go to Woodbadge would be doing your troop a disservice. Especially when the only reason for not attending is a preconceived notion of "Been there, done that, don't need to know anymore..."

Wood Badge was never called "wood lore" and it was never for youth members. A SPL or JASM would not be going to Wood Badge.

Wood Badge has changed over the years. The course today is not the course that was offered 10-15 years ago.

Originally, Wood Badge was a course for council-level trainers (1950s). Eventually in the 60s or so, groups of scout councils could offer it. In the 70s they finally started to add in leadership. By the 80s councils were offering it to boy scout troop leadership. The current course came out around 2001, as is aimed at Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Venturing leaders.

So what would he have taken 25 years ago that he now claims is Wood Badge? In fact he says that Wood Badge used to be called Wood Lore (or a similar name). A search of the web had no connection to Wood Badge and a similarily named course. I suspect that what he went to was a junior leadership training course similar to Buck skin.

Bear Patrol

SR 676

Wood Badge has been Wood Badge since day one. Wood Badge has existed in the US since the 50s. It has always been called Wood Badge (albert with quantifiers like 'Cub Scout Trainer Wood Badge', 'Varsity Scout Wood Badge', etc).

Again, youth do not attend Wood Badge. So whatever course he went to as an SPL or JASM was NOT Wood Badge. It most likely was a junior leader training course and his local council called it 'wood lore' (just as many local councils call their JLTC or now NYLT courses something different like Eagle Claw, Pine Tree, Silver Acorn, Brownsea or the like).