training requirements for Woodbadge

I don't know if it is the same in all Councils, but in our Council a scouter must be fully trained for his/her current position in order to take Woodbadge.

That means, that everyone must take the New Leader Essentials (a few hours) and Position Specific Training (1/2 days for Cubs, 1/2 day for Committee Members, full day for SM, ASM). Then, SM and ASM must take the Outdoor Leader Skills for a weekend.

My question is why do the SM and ASM have to take more training that Cub Leaders and Committee Members to attend Woodbadge?

I have not attended Woodbadge yet, but I gather there is no difference in the training received whether one is a Cub Scout Leader or a Boy Scout Leader.

Please don't take this as a complaint, just wondering.

gwd, it isn't that you need "more" for the purposes of WB. Rather, the standard for WB is that you must be "fully trained" for whatever your scouting position is, and SM/ASM requires more to be considered fully trained. Hope that makes sense.

Lisa'bob

By the way I'd be all for them adding that everybody has to take some sort of hands on outdoor skills training first. But then you have to have something appropriate for everybody. OLS is great, don't get me wrong. Webelos Outdoor Leader Training is also fine. But what do you tell those wolf den leaders who need something appropriate for them? Sending them to a program that is focused on boys years older than the ones they are working with won't do. BALOO isn't it either- it is mostly administrative in nature (though I think all cub leaders should be required to take it too).

Lisa'bob

I can understand your point, Lisabob.

On the other hand, I've found that - with mixing Cub and Boy Scout leaders in the patrols - it's like a Boy Scout patrol, in that the experienced members take responsibility for training, helping and advising the new members.

New Scouts don't have previous outdoor training before they go on their first camping trip with us. They learn outdoors skills from their more experienced patrol mates.

I see it as part of the mimicry of a Troop's functioning.

To me, the object is diversity of training.

Cub leaders know a fair bit about 8-10 year olds, Boy leaders know 11-17, and Venturing leaders know 14-21 (and both genders to boot). It helps all of us learn how the program meshes together to support youth.

FWIW, while our patrol enjoyed our campout, we enjoyed it not so much for the training, but rather for the time we spent away from life. Where the first weekend had been as much "uptime" as any of us had in our day jobs, the second weekend was far more "downtime."

And Another Thing -

At the time I attended the Wood Badge Training Course, I was a Cubmaster. I really appreciate the full range of training Wood Badge presents. I am now in the Boy Scouting program. When I attended Basic Training for Boy Scouts it really made sense from a Troop standpoint. The Patrol Method fit right into place and it all made sense.

Wood Badge is Advanced Training for all Scout Leaders. Not just for Boy Scouting, but for all families of BSA (Cubs, Boy Scouts, and Venturers).

Eagle Pete