Unfortunately, no amount of training will purge all of the "Renegades." Only vigilance from their peers will keep them from adding requirements.

We must provide the best program possible and remember the focus is the young men (I prefer not to call them boys)... and not the adult leaders/staff. And encourage the "renegades" to shape up.

Back to the WB21 issue, there are individuals (one of my Patrol mates, in fact) that have continued to focus on the program in various positions (in his case as a SM and OA advisor). Between that and work as a DoD contrator he could not afford the time to Staff a new course within the grace period. He ended up retaking the full course (and agreeing not to wear his hard-earned beads from the early WB) and paying all fees again. What reward is that for dedicated service.

In order to serve as a SM or 1st ASM for Jamboree, one MUST have WB21. Thus, a fully engaged, compliant leader is punished for focusing on program over Staffing.

National needs a short course if it's going to require WB21 for future leadership positions or they will shut out quality leaders.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Peters uses as one of his management mantras "Train and retrain constantly."

While I disagree about setting aside my beads (and especially so outside the course environment), what is so wrong about taking a tax-deductible training course, meeting good people, and getting a chance to conciously do things to improve yourself and Scouting?